Mexican corona?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
What's up with the Mexican corona?( 32oz brown bottles) Why does it taste different? I no longer like the regular type but this is actual pretty good and the 32oz bottles are awesome.

Yeah, I see them now too. They were everywhere in Mexico when I traveled there over the last few years. Good to see them here. Too bad they are a dollar like down there.

The brown bottles protect the beer better. The clear bottles are often not properly stored or taken care of and the beer (most) often gets skunky in the bottles.

I'd be excited to try these brown bottles, it may make it worthwhile.

Are you talking about Corona Familiar/Corona Mega? I found a few sites that state that they have pretty much the same ingredients, but the Corona Familiar/Corona Mega has more corn, leading to a 6% ABV as opposed to the 4.6% ABV of normal Corona Extra.

I've always enjoyed Corona's. Not my fav, but I still like them. I'll have to start looking for them in brown bombers. BTW, for 3 months I would drive by the Corona mfg plant in Mexico City on a job assignment. I don't think it's made in the US, but maybe bottled here.

Are you talking about Corona Familiar/Corona Mega? I found a few sites that state that they have pretty much the same ingredients, but the Corona Familiar/Corona Mega has more corn, leading to a 6% ABV as opposed to the 4.6% ABV of normal Corona Extra.

It is familiar. It is has a nice malty flavor. I enjoyed it while doing yard work yesterday.

From what little I can find online. It appears it is the same except for the brown bottle. I haven't had a corona in quite a while and now I am thinking the last several times I did it was skunked. SO I guess the rule is if it is in a brown bottle or homebrewed it is a nice lawnmower beer, but why pay $3.58 for 32oz of lawnmower beer. Although I think I will buy another sixer just to keep the cool bottles for the few times I do bottle now.

Back