Can I wash yeast like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
So I was going to follow Bernie Brewers guidlines for yeast washing today, but I am at my parents house in the middle of nowhere and all they have is one big mason jar. I was wondering can I just harvest the yeast into this one large jar and use it to create starters.

My only other option is using regular glass jars which does not seem like a very sanitary option. Anybody got any ideas to help me out here?

I have limited experience with the washing, but from what I understand, you can do that but will have trub. Now, on the bright side is that you can always let it settle and then "wash" it a second time when you get to where you normally brew. I washed some yeast that I got from a local brewery and it came with more trub than I wanted. I just gave it a couple of rinses and tossed it into the fermenter.

Regular glass jars are just fine. You can use beer bottles, etc, too. The glass is boiled as to be as sanitary as possible, so they will be ok. I store my washed yeast in Grolsch bottles in the fridge.

Back