Adding yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treshombres

Reaction score
First we are new so we will expect the smirks and giggles. Our local home brew store is telling us to add yeast at the bottling. We brewed a double IPA and they say it cant hurt can only help. We cant see anything on the web thats talks about this practice. Anyone have an opinion?

are you crash cooling it, filtering it, aging it for an extended period of time, or adding any weird chemicals to it? if not, you don't need to add more yeast at bottling time, there will be more than enough to take care of carbonation.

Noooo!

I dont know about adding other chemicals and such like android has asked about, but since you are new I'm gonna assume that you're more than likely to get into your brew ASAP.

My guess is if you do add yeast at bottling, you're gonna end up with some pressure bombs. Went through that once, you defintely dont wanna do that.

Add your priming sugar before you put your brew in the bottling bucket then bottle and let it be.

On a side note, did you tell your LHBS that you're new to brewing?

Welcome to HBT!

While it won't hurt to add yeast at bottling, it won't do anything other than leave a bigger than normal pile of yeast on the bottom of your bottle. Whether you leave your beer for a few months in the fermenter or crash cool it, there is plenty of yeast left in suspension for carbonating.

I would be highly suspicious of information your LHBS gives you if that is an example. :)

Yes they know we are new to this, as they have learned by us adding them to all our speed dials. Nope not adding anything funky, we jumped right in the first batch and brewed up a batch of Dogfish 90 minute. Totally messed up the amount of water, i think we ended up with 4.2 gallons on a 5 gallon recipe. After figuring out that being at the local watering hole until 1 am the night before the brew can directly inpact youre ability to figure out whats a gallon, we got a good nights sleep and made a Left Hand Twin Sister double IPA for our 2nd attempt. I opened a bottle on day 7. if you go to youtube and search on flyingfinn77, go to the bottom of my vids and you will see the results. I thought it was really pretty good for a infant beer. Somewhat sweet, very high abv, and the color was just what we had expected. had a fair amount of carbonation for 7 days old and huge head, with I assume good lacing. You tell me. Anyway, its been in the bottle 11 days now and we have sworn a pact to leave it alone until after Christmas. Have a batch of Stone IPA clone in the secondary, dry hopping for we plan on 11 days then to the bottle. does that sound like a plan? or should we adjust? BTW, I didnt have a beer tonight, so i blame that for the rambling mesage.

My guess is if you do add yeast at bottling, you're gonna end up with some pressure bombs.

This is totally wrong. You get bottle bombs if a) you add too much priming sugar, or b) you bottle the beer before it's ready to bottle. Adding yeast will have no effect on this whatsoever.

There's really no need to add yeast at bottling. If you're making a very very strong beer, you might consider do so because the yeast can sometimes get tired and take a long time to finish carbonating. But I wouldn't bother, personally.

This is totally wrong. You get bottle bombs if a) you add too much priming sugar, or b) you bottle the beer before it's ready to bottle. Adding yeast will have no effect on this whatsoever.

There's really no need to add yeast at bottling. If you're making a very very strong beer, you might consider do so because the yeast can sometimes get tired and take a long time to finish carbonating. But I wouldn't bother, personally.
Well he does mention its a DIPA. How much were you thinking of adding?

My guess is if you do add yeast at bottling, you're gonna end up with some pressure bombs. Went through that once, you defintely dont wanna do that.

Would adding more yeast create bombs? I would think that they would still be limited to the amount of sugar. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Edit: Already answered by RBlagojevich. Thanks.

I did this to a batch of DIPA came in at 11%+ ABV. The yeast in the batch would not carb up the beer. I left it for almost 2 months and had no carbonation at all. I rehydrated some champagne yeast and added it to the bottles and that did the trick after another two weeks of resting. There is another post on here somewhere about this, that is where I got the idea from.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-high-gravity-need-extra-yeast-132004/

Would adding more yeast create bombs? I would think that they would still be limited to the amount of sugar. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Edit: Already answered by RBlagojevich. Thanks.

Haha, I got owned.

Meh, it happens. Glad I followed this thread a bit.

Back