First bottle bomb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
So, I just opened the brew closet and a bottle had clearly exploded. This was a De Konnick clone, bottled last week. I used the same procedure I always do...3/4 cup corn sugar to 2 cups water. The other 50 bottles look fine...no fizzing, nothing. Could it just be one bum bottle (I've used these twice before)? What gives?

Possibly a bum bottle, or you could have more on the way. Measuring the sugar using weight is more accurate than volume. What was your FG?

and what was the starting gravity. 1.016 may or may not be 'cool' to bottle.

its entirely possible for one bottle to get infected and create a gusher or a bottle bomb.

time will tell

Well, I opened my first one two days ago...exactly two weeks after bottling. And it was...well, not flat, but not carbonated nearly enough. Is this something that can be rectified with time, or should I start thinking about another remedy?

Well, I opened my first one two days ago...exactly two weeks after bottling. And it was...well, not flat, but not carbonated nearly enough. Is this something that can be rectified with time, or should I start thinking about another remedy?

3 weeks at 70 F. Let them go some more, and if they're still not carbonated, then look at alternatives :)

Latest posts

Back