Iphone software for recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkellner29

Reaction score
I used to have brewr on android but now have an iPhone. I can't seem to find any free software for building recipes. Thoughts Or recommendations on the apple market?

I use BeerAlchemy. It does everything that BeerSmith does and it will exchange files with Beersmith which is sort of the homebrew standard. It has a library of recipes (none of which I have ever used) but it also has a recipe builder and a large library of grains, hops, extracts, etc that you can use to build them. It keeps an inventory and makes shopping lists for you, it calculates sugar for carbonation or specific gravity. All the things you need to do while brewing. It costs money but well worth the investment. You won't need anything else unless you have a mac and want to get the application for that. If you do, it will also synch between the phone and computer.

The only think I have wanted that it doesn't seem to have is a built in timer that you can start at the beginning of your brewday that will ring and tell you what to do at that time (i.e., hop additions, etc). I do have another app that will do that but you have to either input all the data ahead of time or export a .xml file that it will then upload so I don't usually use it.

Hope that helps.

I'm in between beer alchemy and ibrewmaster. I'll use my iPad for whichever I download. Any recommendations as to which one to get?

RobE said:
I'm in between beer alchemy and ibrewmaster. I'll use my iPad for whichever I download. Any recommendations as to which one to get?

I personally use iBrewmaster on my iPad for all of my brewing. It is an amazing app and TOTALLY worth the money.

I brewmaster wasn't available when I started with beer alchemy. Interfacing with the Mac was a big plus for me but I brewmaster looks like a formidable competitor if that is not necessary. It even appears to have a timer.

Brewitt said:
I brewmaster wasn't available when I started with beer alchemy. Interfacing with the Mac was a big plus for me but I brewmaster looks like a formidable competitor if that is not necessary. It even appears to have a timer.

It does have a timer, which is awesome when conducting both the mash and the boil. The boil timer is set to intervals depending on your hop and addition schedule. It makes it incredibly hard to mess up a brew day, even if you're drinking (which I almost always am on a brew day).

I don't think anything holds a candle to beeralchemy for UI, but I've gotten into a few situations where my calculations in Beer Alchemy were wildly different from BeerSmith or even some of the online tools.

I haven't figured out if it's a process error on my part of a flaw in the program.

I've been working in IT for a while now using some widely different proprietary UIs...BeerSmith is probably the worst designed program I've ever had to use and BeerAlchemy is light years ahead of it. That being said, there are some things that are missing in BeerAlchemy that might cause me to take a look at iBrewmaster some day.

I know BeerSmith is working on the iOS version, but if it's anything similar to the desktop version, I'll stay far away.

Thanks to all great feedback,

Also for those in need...
Just messaged ibrew support to see if they cover extract to AG, they stated they plan on it in a few months with another release, that would also be a great feature......

Sorry to buck the trend, but brewPal has been great to me. No built in recipes, but plenty of ingredients, timers to help you with the process from mash to bottle, sparge temp calculator, priming sugar calculator, abv calculator, and some other neat bells and whistles :)

Question regarding iBrewMaster. I typically brew all grain utilizing a single infusion mash based on the wiki here. Does it (or any other iOS app) calculate the proper water temperature and volume to add to the grain bill for the mash?

lombard said:
Question regarding iBrewMaster. I typically brew all grain utilizing a single infusion mash based on the wiki here. Does it (or any other iOS app) calculate the proper water temperature and volume to add to the grain bill for the mash?

iBrewmaster does calculate the proper strike temp for single infusion mash. The trick is to avoid losing temp to heating your cooler. To do this I heat the strike water to iBrewmasters temp + 10F. I add the strike water to my cooler and let it sit for 15-20 minutes with the lid on. I then open up the cooler and stir until the water drops to the proper strike temp. Then I add my grain stir and hit my target.

Since lots of stirring is good for efficiency I add 3F to iBrewmasters strike temp. I do this by setting the field "Mash Tun Temp Loss" in the mash profile to 3F.

When i add the grain I stir the mash until the grain bed temp is at my desired mash temp.

If you are really good you can set the "Mash Tun Temp Loss" to include the temp lost from heating the cooler. I don't do that since the number will vary by season since I store my mash tun in the garage. If you keep your mash tun at a constant temp (in the house) this may work pretty well.

Good luck.

Back