Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting a batch of this today with Pilsner malt and noble hops.
Going for the true American Lager/Pilsner flavor. I will also secondary with amylase and gelatin to really clear it up.

Checked mine yesterday and drank the hydro sample. Going to be a very nice beer. Down to about 1.004 from 1.044. I'm excited to get it on tap. There's a local homebrew contest coming up and you can enter more than one so I may put this one in and see what they say.

Looks delicious. Do you get some spice from the rye? My first C3C is still in the fermenter.

Now that its had a few weeks to rest in the keg, this jus gets better and better. I adjusted the volume of Willamette hops to reach the target AAU of the original recipe (the current hop pellets from HopUnion have really low %Alpha Acids) and with the bit of rye, this is even a more refreshing beer than before. Almost a slightly lemony zestiness to it

I just opened my first bottle of this the other day. I went by the original all grain recipe. It was decent but had a strong corn flavor. I was hoping it was just a bit green and would get better with a little aging. What is the consensus on this? Did I miss something or does it just need time? Any thoughts appreciated.

Mine was a little bit corny tasting too IMO. It wasnt around long enough to know how it aged though, so ... you know:mug:

I just opened my first bottle of this the other day. I went by the original all grain recipe. It was decent but had a strong corn flavor. I was hoping it was just a bit green and would get better with a little aging. What is the consensus on this? Did I miss something or does it just need time? Any thoughts appreciated.

I found that after about 1-2 weeks in the keg that corny flavour disappeared. Its been about a month since I first tapped the keg, I am down to the last of it and it really has improved!

I am going to try this with Pilsner malt as my next batch. Also, since i didnt have crystal or willamette, I have used saaz and Hallertau. Tastes great, dont have a reference point as to how it stacks against the intended recipe tho...

Guess it's right then! I'll give it month to age and see where it stands then. Not that it was bad, just not what I expected I guess? If it doesn't come around in a month I might try it again sometime with a few tweaks. Thanks for the input guys!

I have another thread on here where I brewed it with Maris otter, and instant oats if you're interested in different tweaks to the flavor.

Just brewed today so it won't be updated for 10-14 days if I keg it 21 days if I end up bottling.

I just made a batch using 6 pounds two row and 1.5 pounds each of the flaked rice and corn. That should tone the corn down a notch.

I figured I might cut the flaked corn in half and up the pale malt by a pound or two. I'll look for your thread wtaylor3. And let me know how your tweaks turned out for you GenIke. Sound like your on the same path I am. Plus I love Marris Otter! Made a couple smash recipes with Marris and they turned out great! I might go that route?

Brewed 10 gallons of this guy back in December and inadvertently lagered it for over a month. As I was milling the grain, I realized that I was 2lbs short of 2-row (end of a 50lb sack), so I subbed an extra pound of minute rice and an extra pound of instant grits. Doesn't seem like it changed the flavor too much.

10981439_855155854541682_2088304876506040755_n.jpg

How about a 5.5 gallon grain bill?

5.5 lbs two row
2.5 lbs corn
1.0 lbs rice

Least that what beersmith seems to like.....

Thanks,

I've used this version of the recipe 8 times now. Every time it gets better and better and better. Definitely a very approachable beer for all your BMC or "I don't like dark beer" friends/wives/etc.

The only variation is using 14oz of minute rice as it comes in 14oz or 28oz boxes around here :)

I've also used cascade, northern brewer, and tettnang hops in this. All come out great, just make small adjustments for taste/bitter.

I've used this version of the recipe 8 times now. Every time it gets better and better and better. Definitely a very approachable beer for all your BMC or "I don't like dark beer" friends/wives/etc.

The only variation is using 14oz of minute rice as it comes in 14oz or 28oz boxes around here :)

I've made it several times myself with the same minute rice (14 oz. iga generic box) and it usually comes in at about 6% for me.

Made it two sunday's ago with Marris Otter as the malt and actual flaked rice from the LHBS since I didn't want to go by the store to get the minute rice. It was only 1.69 per pound at the HB store. This is the first time I've hit the numbers exactly so I'm really interested to see how it comes out. I guess I'll keg it tomorrow and let everyone know.

Even at the usual 6% everyone who tried it loved it.

I'm surprised you got it to 6%, mine came out to less than 5% with 2-row, grits, and generic rice

Never really tried to. That's just where the hydrometer told me it was.

Never figured out why but it always seemed to take longer than the 90 minutes to convert. It did the same last time and I had to let it mash for two hours to get a good iodine test.

But the numbers came in like the original so I'm interested to see how it comes out.

Checked SG Wednesday and yesterday and no change at 1.006 so I crashed it to .5C. and will keg it today.

Brewed this yesterday. Pitched rehydrated us05 last night at about 9. Slow to none airlock activity at the moment and very large clumps of yeast hanging out all throughout. Temp is at a balmy 62-64 on the fermometer...any ideas on the lag?

Brewed this yesterday. Pitched rehydrated us05 last night at about 9. Slow to none airlock activity at the moment and very large clumps of yeast hanging out all throughout. Temp is at a balmy 62-64 on the fermometer...any ideas on the lag?

Last couple of US-05 ferments I have done have taken about 40+ hours to show signs of activity. Once they took off they went great and all taste good, so I wouldn't worry too much yet.
I am fermenting in low to mid 60's and shake to oxygenate the wort before pitching.
How did you oxygenate your wort?

Last couple of US-05 ferments I have done have taken about 40+ hours to show signs of activity. Once they took off they went great and all taste good, so I wouldn't worry too much yet.
I am fermenting in low to mid 60's and shake to oxygenate the wort before pitching.
How did you oxygenate your wort?

I dump through a strainer and funnel and then shake and stir vigorously for about 5-10 mins

Brewed this yesterday. 2.5 gallon BIAB. OG was kinda high @ 1063. Mash efficiency was 79% according to Beersmith. This may be a 6 or 7%er. I guess I should have used 3 lbs of 2 row and not 4.

4 lb 2 Rahr 2 row
1 lb Flaked Maize
12.7 oz Flaked Rice
7.6 g Willamette
7 g Crystal
5.5 g Notty
90 minute mash
90 minute boil

Brewed this yesterday. 2.5 gallon BIAB. OG was kinda high @ 1063. Mash efficiency was 79% according to Beersmith. This may be a 6 or 7%er. I guess I should have used 3 lbs of 2 row and not 4.

4 lb 2 Rahr 2 row
1 lb Flaked Maize
12.7 oz Flaked Rice
7.6 g Willamette
7 g Crystal
5.5 g Notty
90 minute mash
90 minute boil

You're gonna wish you had more, I do 5 gallon batches and I need more of this

I've made it several times myself with the same minute rice (14 oz. iga generic box) and it usually comes in at about 6% for me.

Made it two sunday's ago with Marris Otter as the malt and actual flaked rice from the LHBS since I didn't want to go by the store to get the minute rice. It was only 1.69 per pound at the HB store. This is the first time I've hit the numbers exactly so I'm really interested to see how it comes out. I guess I'll keg it tomorrow and let everyone know.

Even at the usual 6% everyone who tried it loved it.

Mine always shows up around 6% too. I like it like that :mug:

Just shared this with a guy this week who said he only liked lagers and he was begging me for a six pack the next day. Said it was "one of the best beers he's ever had." I have to agree, this recipe is rock solid, consistent, and a crowd pleaser. Even my hard core hophead friends can appreciate it.

Me too, along with anyone who had tried it. That's why this one will be interesting, although the MO may change it a bit. :drunk:

Looking forward to your tasting notes as I have a version in the fermenter that was made with MO. I also added 4 oz instant oats to try to get more mouthfeel, hope I didn't take a great recipe and create a disaster lol

So far so good. I guess I just have to get used to that US05 lag time. Fermenting happily now at about 65.

I always forget that US-05 takes a while to start. If you save the yeast and make a starter next time, it should start quicker.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm too lazy to go through 2700 posts to find it. But what would the extract version of this be?

How long are you guys keeping this in primary?Think 10 days is good? My pipeline is a little low due to winter.

Thanks for this recipe! I just pulled my first glass off the tap last night, and it was great! I altered the recipe slightly though. For a five gallon batch, I used:

6.5 lbs domestic 2-row
2 lbs flaked corn
0.5 lbs instant white rice

1 oz crystal 60 min
1 oz crystal 5 min

Safale US-05 starter

1 month primary, 1 month secondary (there was a lot in the pipeline ahead of this one!)

(so really, I only adjusted the 2-row, bittering hops, and ferment time)

It really turned out great; much better than my previous cream ale, which was always a big hit, but always cloudy. This is one of my clearest beers I've ever made.

I'll be starting a new batch tonight, since I know this one will go fast. I can't wait for my friends and family who drink BMC to try this one. I think I just retired my old cream ale recipe!

Thanks again for the great recipe!

I kegged this a few days ago and have had it cold crashing at about 34°, I drew a sample today and it is still quite cloudy. I added gelatin and now have it on 30psi. The sample tasted quite good. A little strong on the corn flavor though.

I noticed the corn flavor in the fermenter after 1 week, then after 2 weeks it was pretty much gone. Then after I transferred it to the keg, it seems to be back. So, long story short, I trust that it will settle out again in short order, and I expect this to be a very clear crisp beer.

Can't wait :)

Just checked the gravity on this guy. 9 days after pitching, 1011. Brought it upstairs to raise temp for a D-rest/ for finishing gravity. Hope it finishes a little lower. any thoughts?

Just checked the gravity on this guy. 9 days after pitching, 1011. Brought it upstairs to raise temp for a D-rest/ for finishing gravity. Hope it finishes a little lower. any thoughts?

D rest shouldn't be needed for US-05, but if there is anything left to ferment it won't hurt to bring the temp up for a short time. I'd Just let it go for 3 weeks and cold crash before bottling/kegging.

Back