I hope my cider will be ok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fixmy59bug

Reaction score
Couple of days ago I pulled a gallon of fresh cider out of the fridge with the intent of making apfelwein.

I warmed some up to rehydrate the yeast (Red Star Premier Cuvée) and add some nutrients and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

While the yeast was sitting, I added 2 lbs of honey and shook (OG was measured at about 1.120).

The cider was still pretty cold when I pitched, but I figured it would be ok.

The airlock only bubbled for a couple of hours then went stagnant and has been for the last few days. It appears all the yeast dropped out of suspension and settled on the bottom.

Tonight, I dry pitched my last package of yeast hoping to save the cider and so far it appears to be going ok. The yeasties appear to be floating around and the airlock is bubbling a little bit.

Should I be ok?

An airlock really isn't a good way to assess fermentation.

Is there a krausen ring at all? If so, you should be fine. If not, it doesn't mean there's a problem though... if you're still concerned, put that hydrometer to work and check the gravity!

nukinfuts29 said:
What recipe is that? Heating, Cuvee, honey, etc.....doesn't sound like Apfelwein.

He heated up some water to rehydrate his dry yeast, which is really the best way to pitch yeast.

There's really nothing that suggests "this doesn't sound like Apfelwein"... I imagine he's just using honey instead of dextrose, which isn't uncommon. People frequently replace the dextrose with all kinds of simple sugars, such as (but in no way limited to) honey, table sugar, brown/demerara/turbinado sugar, and my personal favorite, apple juice concentrate.

Damn...

Ive already got a cyser. Lol.

I was hoping the cider base instead of the juice base would make it different.

Ok, time to try Ed Worts recipe word for word...

Thanks

Honestly, they're just being overly technical. Especially with the amount of honey you used, it will be *very* similar to Edwort's recipe. Possibly indistinguishable

Latest posts

Back