Mashes @ 144 Deg F - What will it result in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
So while going through my 3rd AG batch the other day I messed up remembering what temp to rest at for a single infusion mash (after I had converted from imperial - metric - imperial over and over I think I forgot the actual temp to use and must of drop the 1 from the imperial - or somthing like that :drunk:)
So what is the effect of mashing this low? Am I right to think it will be dryer than if it was low-mid 150s? Anything else?
The malts were 3 lb 14 oz pale & 1 lb 2 oz crystal 80L (or 60L - it just said medium)
Cheers :mug:

how long did you rest it at 144? and did you take a gravity reading to see if you got the sugars you thought you would out of it? it will probably be really dry, but you may not have as much sugar as you thought you would.

Kind of a side note I guess but,

I swear, I think I read every thread and every bit of info helps! There are so many variables to brewing, that reading everyone's questions will at some point help ya!

how long did you rest it at 144? and did you take a gravity reading to see if you got the sugars you thought you would out of it? it will probably be really dry, but you may not have as much sugar as you thought you would.

About 45 min until I realised my mistake then bumped it up to ~152ish for another 20 min with some extra hot water (should have mentioned that aswell, doh!). Used my refractometer for the first time but didn't write it down as this was a winging it brew anyway - It was loer than I was expecting I think but probably still got 60-70% eff (and it was a different LHBS's crush so don't know the usual to expect from them ;))

should be fine. just really, really dry and thin. What style beer is this?

Yeah it is just something I was putting together for a house warming party. The style... um... is beer a style? ;) No real aim to it but to get something to drink at the party.

yeah, as long as you got it up to 152 for a while, you probably got full conversion. i would just think that if you only rested at 144, you would favor the beta-amylase, which could leave behind more starch if it is the only enzyme favored. as others have said, the 40 minute rest at 144 will probably give you a highly fermentable wort.

Latest posts

Back