Beer Brewing "Tool Kit"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My hobby is really starting to sprawl out. When I brew, I'm in and out of the house at least 15 or 20 times. I needs a tool kit for brewing, something I can carry out with me and have everything I need. Anybody have anything like that? What do you use?

What would make a good tool kit? I'm thinking some PVC to hold various lengths of tubing and siphons, a drawer for ingredients (dextrose, irish moss, etc), maybe a little tub that I can fill with starsan and H2O to let things soak. A place to store my scrubby sponge that I use to clean up. A place for a little bottle of dish soap.

Maybe even a hard attach point for a plate chiller. :)

yeah.. a garage would be handy, but I still need to brew outdoors, so I still need a carrying device. Maybe I'll go to Home Depot and see what they have...

I have a fairly long tool box for most of it, but a wallpaper paste tray is a good carrier for longer items. You have to figure out a handle, but that's not a problem.

One of those large toolboxes with the wheels on one side might be good. Or if you can roll (ie. no stairs involved) a rolling tool cart like mechanics would use work great.

Damn Squirrels said:
My hobby is really starting to sprawl out. When I brew, I'm in and out of the house at least 15 or 20 times. I needs a tool kit for brewing, something I can carry out with me and have everything I need. Anybody have anything like that? What do you use?

What would make a good tool kit? I'm thinking some PVC to hold various lengths of tubing and siphons, a drawer for ingredients (dextrose, irish moss, etc), maybe a little tub that I can fill with starsan and H2O to let things soak. A place to store my scrubby sponge that I use to clean up. A place for a little bottle of dish soap.

Maybe even a hard attach point for a plate chiller. :)

I keep all my brewing supplies and materials in my basement but i brew in my garage so I know what you mean. I use 5 gal. plastic buckets. When I get ready to brew, I throw all my stuff (most of which I already have in there) in the bucket and my brew pot. I carry that up and it minimizes my trips inside.

If you wanted to get really fancy (which I might do also) buy one of those canvas liners that go around/in the bucket. They usuallly have about a dozen pockets on the inside and out and every thing would be contained and have a spot. Then, if you get more stuff - which you will - just buy another bucket. Cheap and easy.

This is my brewing tool kit (having a bad hair day):

4688-cleanthisup.JPG

What a disaster...and not something I expect anyone to rush right out and duplicate (especially the disorder).

However, if I were to put together a portable kit, I would include:
Screwdrivers (1 ea., slotted and Phillips)
Vice grips
Needle nose pliers
Adjustable wrench
7/8" box wrench (for cornies)
Utility knife
Assorted hose and hose clamps
Assorted quick disconnects
Duct tape
Rags

Perhaps a few of the following:
Turkey baster
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Sample tube
Iodine
Sanitizer
Barkeeper's Friend
Scrub brushes/sponges
Keg lube
Leak detector

...and last, but not least, a bottle opener!

I just use some plastic totes. One that is like 15 or 20 gallons for the large parts and two small 2 gallon ones for the little stuff. I make maybe 3 trips from my basment to my garage. They are cheap and work great for me.

I bought a big industrial-quality 6-shelf wire rack with casters for $75 at sams club:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=168602
0001764199497_LG.jpg

I got it with the intention of storing most of my brewing equipment (minus the fermenters and brew pot and stuff...) on it, allowing me to just wheel the whole thing over near where I was brewing. Not exactly the 'tool kit' you were asking for, but just a thought.

You know what would probably make a pretty good brewing tool kit is one of those rubbermaid bins with a lid. You can store all your brewing stuff in there when you're not using it, and when you take the brew tools out to brew, then you can put some water and sanitizer in the bottom of the bin to keep things clean while you're cooking.

I don't know if you know exactly what I'm talking about, but they have these large containers with a lid - you can get them at walmart. Basically its like a giant sized tupperware. I have a big one to keep the dogs food in, and another big one to hold my tent, sleeping bags, and camping equipement. They only cost $10-20 at walmart and they're pretty convenient for storage. Plus since they hold water you can use it for clean up too - then just pack everything back in the container, put the lid on it and store it away.

I will have to post the pic later, but my most recent project was kind-of what you are describing. I brew outside on my deck, but store my equipment in my basement. There is a flight of stairs and quite a bit of walking involved. I took a $9 HD plastic toolbox and hacked it to meet my needs. Aside from storage compartments for PH test strips, various fittings, measuring devices, tapes, thermometers, chemicals etc, it is wired with an extension cord and March pump. The core of the pump is raised inside the box, and only the head is on the outside. this was my half-azz approach to waterproofing. The front has a regular wall mount light switch for pump power. Again, a pic or two and you will get the idea perfectly.

I did not plan to incorporate any longer items...

Mutilated1 said:
You know what would probably make a pretty good brewing tool kit is one of those rubbermaid bins with a lid. You can store all your brewing stuff in there when you're not using it, and when you take the brew tools out to brew, then you can put some water and sanitizer in the bottom of the bin to keep things clean while you're cooking.

I don't know if you know exactly what I'm talking about, but they have these large containers with a lid - you can get them at walmart. Basically its like a giant sized tupperware. I have a big one to keep the dogs food in, and another big one to hold my tent, sleeping bags, and camping equipement. They only cost $10-20 at walmart and they're pretty convenient for storage. Plus since they hold water you can use it for clean up too - then just pack everything back in the container, put the lid on it and store it away.

I use one of these, and it works quite well. It's about 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high. Fits all my junk in there.....but it does have holes at the bottom, so keep an eye out for that.;)

I'm just getting started. I use my bottling bucket and the empty LME pails for now, but I like some of your ideas. Guess I'm lucky I brew in my kitchen and my supplies are in the attached dining room.

I don't have a garage, but I brew outside so I have to store everything in my basement

I have a brewday toolbox and a kegging\bottling toolbox. They're both cheap plastic ones. What is too big to fit in the brewday toolbox gets stored/carried-around-in my cooler mash tun

Ryan_PA said:
I will have to post the pic later, but my most recent project was kind-of what you are describing. I brew outside on my deck, but store my equipment in my basement. There is a flight of stairs and quite a bit of walking involved. I took a $9 HD plastic toolbox and hacked it to meet my needs. Aside from storage compartments for PH test strips, various fittings, measuring devices, tapes, thermometers, chemicals etc, it is wired with an extension cord and March pump. The core of the pump is raised inside the box, and only the head is on the outside. this was my half-azz approach to waterproofing. The front has a regular wall mount light switch for pump power. Again, a pic or two and you will get the idea perfectly.

I did not plan to incorporate any longer items...

That sounds like something I want to see!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back