Bad News Bear of Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
I made my first starter for my planned first batch on friday... What a mess.. Should have video taped it. Could have entered it into Am Funniest Videos.. lol

Had my first boil over.. :rockin:

Cooled the wort in the sink and added my liquid yeast. Shook very well..

I seem to have a layer of white deposit on the bottom of the flask.. Think that is good.

Wish me luck...

dhaas66 said:
I made my first starter for my planned first batch on friday... What a mess.. Should have video taped it. Could have entered it into Am Funniest Videos.. lol

Had my first boil over.. :rockin:

Cooled the wort in the sink and added my liquid yeast. Shook very well..

I seem to have a layer of white deposit on the bottom of the flask.. Think that is good.

Wish me luck...

Welcome to the club. I finally started using large 3Qt apple juice jars for my starters. THey still "boil over".

YeastStarters_2.JPG

Your starter will be fine. One think I learned is that if you can give your starter 5-6 days (or more), your yeasties have more time to multiply and that's the whole point.

I would clean up the outside mess and leave the rest alone. The white sediment is yeast, but there is a ton of yeast suspended in your solution. Don't throw that out.

Swish the entire jar around when you're ready to pitch and throw the whole thing in.

Luck... :D

I had only read 2 days.. Will I be ok for friday?

New at this.... lol

Back