Another first batch question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbass

Reaction score
Hello. Brand new to brewing, first batch ever is sitting in secondary right now waiting to be force-carbed.

This past week a friend convinced me to make a hard cider. He'll be returning around december, so I figured start it now, and let it age until then. Went out and found some real nice un pasteurized/unfiltered cider, which cost be a decent penny. 2 hours after I pitched with a mead yeast my LHBS swore by, I take a look, and while there's the slightest amount of bubbles starting, it seems like there's already an inch of apple sediment on the bottom.

I'm just curious if I've got anything to concerned about aside from the ability to remain steadfast for the next 8 months.

Thanks all. I hope to stick around these parts for quite a while.

First....Welcome.

Second....how much are you making...and how much yeast did you use? Did you add any additional fermentables?
What was your beginning Gravity?

If it's only been a few days, I'd add some nutrient and shake the crap out of it...depending on what it's in. I can shake a full 5 gallons carboy pretty good, but it's a scary deal, and I would NOT recommend that just anybody give it a try.

I take it you've never bought unfiltered cider before. The apple sediment is normal. The cider will ferment out in a few weeks, then after everything has settled and the hydrometer readings stay steady, then rack it off the sediment into another carboy for aging or you can bottle it.

Latest posts

Back