New Christmas Gift - Keggle w/ some issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfsb78

Reaction score
So, my old man was asking me about brewing some time ago. I thought he was just making conversation, however, it turns out he was looking for christmas gift ideas. I mentioned that I was going to try to convert a keg to a keggle soon. Sure enough, he found a keg and attempted to do it himself and give it as a gift to me.

Unfortunately, he hasn't had much experience working with stainless steel (like most of us). He ended up using a cutting torch to take the top off. The cut is very rough and pretty ugly but I think I can clean it up by cutting the outer edge off (widen the circle) using a rotozip and be fine.

The problem is there is a bunch of metal scrapping laying in the bottom that is not coming out easily. I rinsed it out multiple times but still have pieces left. Obviously I don't want to brew if there is any chance of metal debris ending up in the beer. I am also afraid the scrub on it to much, since the metal could start scratching up the stainless steel once it get stuck on the cloth. Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

This may be a case where you are asking too much of the product, but I gotta ask, have you tried soaking in hot Oxyclean solution?

Also if you do need to scrub, I dont think you need to be super worried about little scratches. First, stainless is difficult to gouge. Second, if you are using this as a boil kettle, and nasties will be long gone after an hour on the flames.

Take a flat stainless spatula or other stainless scraper and hold it as flat to the inner surface as you can and pop off all the slag that you can.

Dump out the bit occasionally.

Rinse it clean and scrub it with some barkeepers friend and a green scrubby or rag.

Some fine grit wet/dry sand paper will take off the remaining tiny bits that might be stuck inside.

Someone else here posted this ...

Take a thin sock (dress sock) and drop magnets in it. Roll the sock around in the kettle, the magnets will pickup the bits-n-pieces.

Back