Tell me not to worry....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexlerLepp

Reaction score
I harvested wyeast 1056 from a beer and washed it following instructions I found here. I later brewed a cream ale. It has been in the fermentor for a week bubbling the whole time. Everything seems normal by sight and smell but the Krausen hasn't fallen. I feel like a cream ale shouldn't take this long. Am I needlessly worrying or what? And it is fermenting on the cold side which will slow things down. Really I am just looking for some reassurance that things are okay and that I didn't get an infection from reusing yeast.

Thanks

Don't worry. All is still OK with your beer. Cool temp=longer ferment times. Give it more time. It will finish when it is ready.

Yeasties are pretty remarkable at doing what they need to do without much outside interference. I'm a big fan of #1056 myself. If you've got the krausen and the bubblin' but don't have any funktastic smells or hairy strangenesses, I'd say follow the #1 rule here: RDW is much, much harder to do than the HAHB part.

I've also read that reused yeast doesn't flocculate as well as the first generation. Might take longer for the krausen to drop.

Back