CBC-1 Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryat66

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using CBC-1 to dose their beer before bottling?

Here's the deal: I am getting ready to bottle a winter warmer (basically a spiced old ale) that I fermented from 1.084 to 1.024 with WLP005. It was in primary for 3 weeks and has been in secondary for 2.5 months. I would like to dose it with yeast prior to bottling but I'm somewhat unsure of which strain to use, I'm afraid of some additional sugars being eaten and ending up with bottle bombs. Is my fear unfounded? If not, should I just bite the bullet and buy another vial of WLP005 and dose it with a few mL and call it a day?

I did a Russian Imperial Stout that fermented for like 2 months. Fearing that the yeast was on it's last legs, I used the CBC for bottling.
It fermented a tad warm, so it has some fusel alcohol I'm trying to tame by letting it sit for several months.
All that to say, that I've not had any bottle bombs. I did notice a good amount of small bubble foam on the one bottle I opened back in July. (Still had a tad of hot alcohol at that time...)
I've put one bottle in the fridge since July, and the rest is in the utility room hanging out and getting mellow...

Don't know if that answers your question, but the fact I've not had an explosion and the one I did open had some decent head foam... I'm glad I did it. Now, we'll see how I feel in a couple of more months when I start to really consume this one!

This is good and confirms to me that CBC-1 isn't interested in any of the remaining maltotriose, only the dextrose from the priming sugar.

Thanks for the reply.

Back