table sugar for a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamebow

Reaction score
is there any reason why i cannot or should not use regular old (inexpensive) table sugar instead of malt extract to make a yeast starter?

the yeast will be wyeast 1056, if that makes a difference.

Hey Bird, that thread is re: dried yeast. It's more important to do a starter on the liquids, so I would use the sugar if I had to. But some extract from Jamebow's kit would be preferred, if he isn't an all-grainer yet.

We talk about it in there... long and short, it's a bad idea.

Cheyco:
You generally don't need to make a starter when using dry yeast since the cell-count is much higher than liquid. If you were going to make one, it's a bad idea to use sugar as this will train the yeast to eat the wrong stuff off the bat and they may produce off-flavors when you get them doing their thing in actual wort.

me:
Cheyco's right about the sugar, too. I've also heard it explained that when you grow yeast in a simple sugar solution, the cells that are more apt to do well and reproduce are those that happen to be best at using simple sugars - not the maltose that ultimately needs to be consumed. You're in effect encouraging the wrong yeast to develop.

david:
Sugar also has no nutrients, so the yeast will be weak. You would be much better off opening your kit if it has some extract in it. You can use dark molasses.

Back