Gelatin with no cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstringer1983

Reaction score
Have any of you ever used gelatin without first cold crashing? If so, what were the results? I cant cold crash this week and i have 2 beers ready to keg. My idea is to add gelatin to both carboys and let it sit for a few days, then keg.

I've never done it, but have heard anecdotally that the cold crash part is a requirement for the gelatin fining to work properly.

When I first started using gelatin 15 years ago, I couldn't cold crash. It did a great job at dropping the yeast, but had no effect on chill haze - chill haze forms at cold temperatures. I was happy with the results I got.

When I first used gelatin, I added the mixture to warm beer, and then cold crashed. Resulted in clear beer. I found that adding the gelatin mixture to cold beer expedited the clearing a bit, but in the end, you will get clear beer either way.

I always blend gelatin into a room temp beer, wait 24 hours and then cold crash. You'll see a lot of fallout in that 24 hours (or longer in your case) but the beer will get crystal clear once chilled. :mug:

I've never done it, but have heard anecdotally that the cold crash part is a requirement for the gelatin fining to work properly.

I've been told by some that gelatin will only work in cold beer.

I've talked to others that swear it will only work in warm (room temp) beer.

I'm not convinced that it matters much either way.
Though I can see maybe BIB's comment about chill haze. That seems plausible.
FWIW, I generally cold crash for a couple days, add gelatin, and then continue cold crashing a few more days before kegging.

Okay thanks for the responses, ill try it this time with no cold crash, then another with, and see what i find out. Cheers :)

Have any of you ever used gelatin without first cold crashing? If so, what were the results? I cant cold crash this week and i have 2 beers ready to keg. My idea is to add gelatin to both carboys and let it sit for a few days, then keg.

are you not going to refrigerate your kegs? i'm just thinking that it's probably possible to do the gelatin/cold crash in the kegs, then just dumping the first couple of gelatin-y pints. but i don't keg, so i'm not sure this will work. just a thought.

are you not going to refrigerate your kegs? i'm just thinking that it's probably possible to do the gelatin/cold crash in the kegs, then just dumping the first couple of gelatin-y pints. but i don't keg, so i'm not sure this will work. just a thought.

Ive done it in the kegs as well. Still nets the same results. I prefer to do it in the carboy instead now, that way all the gunk stays in the carboy, and you can enjoy your first few pours instead of pitching them.

Ive done it in the kegs as well. Still nets the same results. I prefer to do it in the carboy instead now, that way all the gunk stays in the carboy, and you can enjoy your first few pours instead of pitching them.

i'm talking more along the lines of warm gelatin vs. cold gelatin, mainly because there is a reason to do it cold side, and that's the chill haze particles being wiped clean.

and in reality there's no difference between doing it in a carboy and a keg, you still lose the same amount of "space" both ways. the only difference is that it feels like you're actually tossing out beer when it's in the keg because you are actually tossing it out. whereas in the carboy it just sinks and you siphon away from it leaving it in there. but in the end it's the same amount of "waste."

I guess i was just trying to minimize the amount of gunk in the keg by having the gelatin settle in the carboy first. Isnt there a chance the junk that settles in the keg could get pushed up the dip tube every pour?

I guess i was just trying to minimize the amount of gunk in the keg by having the gelatin settle in the carboy first. Isnt there a chance the junk that settles in the keg could get pushed up the dip tube every pour?

the logic i was going by with the suggestion was that as long as you're not rousing up the stuff on the bottom, it should just stay at the bottom. which the dip tube should be reaching the bottom. so you should be pouring it all the way clean in the first couple of pours, just like anything else that would settle after you keg it. it shouldn't be different than the carboy in the amount of "loss" that you have.

and in reality there's no difference between doing it in a carboy and a keg, you still lose the same amount of "space" both ways. the only difference is that it feels like you're actually tossing out beer when it's in the keg because you are actually tossing it out. whereas in the carboy it just sinks and you siphon away from it leaving it in there. but in the end it's the same amount of "waste."

I think there can be a difference. I get a little more beer in my carboy to account for gelatin (if I know I plan to gelatin the beer) so I can still fill my keg to the max. This allows every pour to be clean, per day, and I don't have to waste a pint or two with debris. If I ket the same volume in the carboy, transferred to the keg, then gelatined, I lose a few pints.

I rarely gelatin anymore though. Usually only use it to expedite my lagers

Thats what ive imagined, if i add to the keg theres gonna be a larger amount of stuff at the bottom of my keg than if i add to the carboy, let settle, then keg. Not to say the gelatin wont still do its thing in the keg and make a bit of sludge at the bottom, but i feel it will be a bit less that way. Well see after a few runs. Maybe ill try both variations just as an experiment.

If your goal is only to drop the yeast, why bother using gelatin? Instead just cold crash, because that will accomplish the same thing.

I cold crash without a refrigerator. I have a large igloo cooler that I fill part way with water, and rotate in ice packs chilling it down. I place in the better bottle or buck, and rotate in more ice. It works 100%.

I bottle and I consider Cold crashing essential to getting good beer. It dramatically cuts down on the yeast at the bottom of each bottle, and the yeast that gets stirred up on opening a bottle.

I usually do cold crash using my fement chamber, but this week the timing is off and i have a beer that just started in there. Ill just tey gelatin without the crash and see how i do

My favored way it to cold crash in fermenter (mostly to drop hops particles), transfer to keg and then hit with gelatin. I have never had an issue pulling up yeast/gunk past the first pint or two.

I usually do cold crash using my fement chamber, but this week the timing is off and i have a beer that just started in there. Ill just tey gelatin without the crash and see how i do

Please report back with results. Would love to hear how it works.

You bet, just added the gelatin to the carboys at storage temp (66f), i plan on kegging tomorrow night. Ill maybe post some pics as the beer carbs up and well see how it works out! Thanks for the advice everyone. Cheers :)

how long is the beer sitting in the fermentation chamber now needing to be in there? you can't wait a few more days to cold crash? i usually only need my ferment chamber for about a week max. 5 days or so at ferment temps, then stepping it up a couple degrees every 12 hours or so until it reaches room temps.
i do want to hear about the results, but i am still convinced you're going to have chill haze.

I typically like my beers to have a full 2 weeks at controlled temps, just my own preference. The beer in there is on day 5 so i dont wanna drop temp on it yet. Im actually intrigued now anyways as to how gelatin will work without a cold crash so im happy i already added it. Ill keep you all posed.

I typically like my beers to have a full 2 weeks at controlled temps, just my own preference. The beer in there is on day 5 so i dont wanna drop temp on it yet. Im actually intrigued now anyways as to how gelatin will work without a cold crash so im happy i already added it. Ill keep you all posed.

well if i was gonna be honest with you, and this is for a completely new thread, but, i'm starting to question the ramp up. i mean i know others are saying they're getting great results, but i feel like since i've been doing it, i've been getting a weird flavor that never happened before that. it's not necessarily a bad, or off-flavor, because plenty of people are enjoying these beers, it's just something that's never been there before. almost like a bubble gum flavor.

so i was actually planning on trying consistent temps on my next brew just to see what happens.

anyways, like i said, i'm still interested in this!

So i racked my beers to the kegs today, heres a pic of the blonde, the other is a citra/cascade apa (which smells amazing by the way!). Both got identical amounts of gelatin yesterday around 2pm. The beers had a layer of gelatin hop/yeast matter on top of the existing trub already. And for no cold crash i can say these are clearer than my usuals. Ill take a few samples and post the pics in a couple of days, then a couple of days from that so we can track their progress.

View attachment 1433026702601.jpg

yeah i wanna see it after it's been kegged for a few days. that's not even clearer than i get with cold crashing... in fact that is just as good as i get with just leaving it in the fermenter for 3 weeks and bottle conditioning for 3 weeks.

Right, but for a non cold crashed beer at kegging time its not bad. My guess is that itll clear faster than a cold crash without gelatin

Okay so its been a few days since i kegged my beers, ive had them carbing at 9psi so theyre not quite ready to drink. This is why i dont have a picture to post, i dont wanna waste good beer, ill post a pint picture in a day or so. Anyways, as of today my beer is hazy still and not much different than when ive kegged without a cold crash in the past and no gelatin. Usually my beers drop crystal clear after a week and a bit in the keg and it seems like this one is on the same course, so i dont think gelatin does much unless combined with cold crashing. Ill post again in a couple of days. Cheers :)

Hey, how did this turn out? I don't have a way to cold crash but I forgot the Whirlfloc on my last batch, it's really hazy and wanted to know if your non- cold crash gelatin fining worked at all? Thanks!

I ended up deciding it doesnt do a lot, i use whirlfloc also, but i dont cold crash due to hot temps here and no means to do it. My beers are crystal clear after about 1.5 weeks in the keg at 35f. Thats with no cold crash or gelatin. The 2 batches i added gelatin to followed that same schedule, so i really saw no benefit from it. Once i get a fridge for cold crashing ill try again, but without it id say gelatin is pointless.

It didn't even help speed up that timeline of when it clears? Did you still have a lot of junk in the first couple pints? Is there any chill haze in the beer?

Joshesmusica-i wanted to think it sped things up originally, i saw those 2 beers starting to clear noticeably within 5 days or so, but i havent used gelatin in the last 4 or 5 batches and they start clearing on the same timeline. I always use whirlfloc so my thoughts are that if anything, whirlfloc is the most effective tool for beers that arent cold crashed-like i said, 1.5 weeks in the keg and my beers are commercial level clear. As far as gunk for the first few pints, i cant remember honestly, but i can say that the amount of chill haze wasnt lessened by using the gelatin. Ive decided that gelatin has to be used in conjunction with the cold crash to get any benefit, also my non cold crashed beer with whirlfloc and no gel stops chill hazing around the same time it drops to crystal clear. Hope this helps :)

I try gelatin without cold crash. On 25'C two days before bottling. Use simple method: warmed 100mL od water to 60'C, well mixed half the bag of gelatin of 10 grams and pour to beer and gently mix.

It works well. Even too good. My beer is not enough carbonated after ten days in bottles. Without gelatin yet after few days push foam from bottle.

Gelatin helps clear the beer and works fine, although slowly, in beer that is not cold crashed. However, it does not eliminate chill haze without the cold crash as the proteins that cause chill haze are dissolved in the beer. If you can get the beer cold before adding the gelatin the chill haze can be eliminated. Refrigerating your beer for a few days once bottled will also eliminate chill haze as the proteins will settle out on their own with time.

Latest posts

Back