My new immersion cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoop

Reaction score
I got tired of carrying 5 gallons of boiling wort to the bathtub, so I finally built this. 50ft of 3/8" copper with angled fittings on the end. There's a 3/8 to 3/4" hose adapter on each fitting, and I use an 8 ft washing machine hose on each side to my sink. I usually brew in the kitchen (no propane burners yet :( ) so I have a 3/4" hose to sink faucet adapter. I wove 14 gauge bare copper wire through the holes in the copper strapping and around the pipe to hold it in place. That way it's more rigid, doesn't lose shape, and keeps gaps between the pipe for better heat transfer. The strapping up to the top pipe makes it good to carry and move around. It's easy to wash off with one of those kitchen spray nozzle things. It's small enough to fit in any pot I would use to boil with. I cooled a small batch of about 3 gallons from boiling to 68 degrees in about 4 minutes. Awesome! What do you guys use? Immersion? Counter flow? Pics? Anything I can improve with?

wort cooler.jpg

i have a very similar 50' 1/2" immersion cooler. wouldn't change it. i brew in my garage, and hook up the outside faucet on the in side, and for the out, i use it to water my hedges and the foundation of my house

Back