Lagering in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neb_brewer

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make my first lager in a couple of days. As of right now I don't have a secondary fermenter. Can I lager the beer in the primary or is it absolutely essential that I rack to a secondary for lagering?

Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you but since I was going to keg in the future anyway I bought a keg system and am now using a keg as my lagering vessel. I would say you could lager for awhile in there but it would probably be better to buy a carboy, better bottle, or corny keg to secondary in.

are you planning to bottle or keg? lagering in a keg is no problem and i'm sure you could make it work in the bottle as well... primary is probably a last resort. if nothing else, rack it off the trub into a regular, sanitized, 5 gallon bucket and then rack back to your fermenter prior to lagering. or just lager in the other 5 gallon bucket, just make sure it's kosher for having beer in it.

edit: oxidation may be an issue with lagering in plastic...

I'm going to be bottling. Sounds like a secondary is pretty necessary. I'll just order one now and it will be here by the time that I need to rack.

I'm getting ready to make my first lager in a couple of days. As of right now I don't have a secondary fermenter. Can I lager the beer in the primary or is it absolutely essential that I rack to a secondary for lagering?

Thanks!

I ferment my lagers at 50 degrees until they reach 75% of their expected final gravity (about 10 days), and then taste for diacetyl. If I'm using a yeast that produces very little diacetyl, and I don't taste any, I go ahead and let fermentation finish at 50 degrees (another few days). If I am using a yeast that is noted for diacetyl, and I taste a little slickness in the sample, I raise the temperature to 65-68 degrees for 24 to 48 hours for the diacetyl rest. Then, I rack the beer into a carboy, and begin the lagering process. I start at 50 degrees, and then drop the temperature 5 degrees per day until I am at 34 degrees. I keep it at 34 degrees for 6-12 weeks (depending on what I'm making and how "big" of a beer it is) and then bottle.

I pitch my yeast cold, so I don't get a ton of diacetyl even with big diacetyl producers, so I skip the diacetyl rest about 75% of the time.

Here's some great info on lagers: How to Brew - By John Palmer - What is Different for Brewing Lager Beer?

yoopper IMO is like having a living homebrew encyclopedia. If she says ferment in the primary at 50 from the get go I would follow what she says.

I never use secondaries for lagers. After fermentation, I just crank down the temp to freezing and lager away.

I don't believe that yeast autolysis begins to happen until like a year or so. I've read here that people talking about having things in primary for a year and nothing wrong with the taste.

My wallet sure would like it more if I could just go with the primary. Anyone have any bad experiences with lagering in the primary?

So you never had a problem with taste letting the beer sit one the yeast for that extended time?

I've left a beer on the yeast in the primary for months before and it doesn't seem to hurt anything

I think potentially it can make a soapy taste in theory, but I've never noticed it

if you're making a lager though, you do benefit from a secondary though

Back