Lagering newbie-ness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
OK, so I'm a thinking of making my first lager after 9 years of brewing, and it looks like I'll be making a Bohemian Pilsner and then a traditional bock or doppelbock, and will use JZ's recipes.

I have a few questions that my research has not answered.

1. After primary fermentation at 50*F and a diacatyl rest for a few days do I lager in bottles, or in a keg/carboy? I'm unsure on this point.

2. I would like to lager in a north-facing sheltered area to the rear of my house. Temps will go a few degrees below freezing, but should stay in the 40s. I have a temperature controller and beer fridge but would prefer not to lager in the fridge. I can also use a cooler and insulated lid in the basement to lager, if I use a carboy.

3. Is a month of lagering sufficient? I think in the JZ book I read that high gravity lagers should be lagered for longer than a regular lager?

Thanks much for any insights!

1. After primary fermentation at 50*F and a diacatyl rest for a few days do I lager in bottles, or in a keg/carboy? I'm unsure on this point.

Keg/Carboy is better. It'll minimize the crud in the bottom of the bottles, if you do end up bottling. Also, you'll just get a better product with less bottle variation.

2. I would like to lager in a north-facing sheltered area to the rear of my house. Temps will go a few degrees below freezing, but should stay in the 40s. I have a temperature controller and beer fridge but would prefer not to lager in the fridge. I can also use a cooler and insulated lid in the basement to lager, if I use a carboy.

If you can keep it in the low 40's, it'll be fine. A few degrees below freezing will be okay because it has alcohol in it, but not for extended periods.
3. Is a month of lagering sufficient? I think in the JZ book I read that high gravity lagers should be lagered for longer than a regular lager?

I like 2 months for any lager if you can, but yeah, I tend to find that higher-gravity lagers benefit from extended lagering more than lower-gravity, light lagers.

Back