Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OleGoatBrewing

Reaction score
My kombucha fermentation seems stuck at 1.035. Scoby looks healthy and is actively growing, producing bubbles, but the sugar levels are staying the same. I started a continuous brew batch. After putting the mother scoby in I made a two gallon batch without any issues (a child scoby grew) and when I replenished my brew with sweet tea and distilled water the fermentation appears to have just stopped. What’s up? Did I kill something? How can I kick start it?

Batch has been in my fermentation chamber @ 76 degrees for 10 days and prior to that it was in my home where the temps range from 73-80 during the day for over a week. First problem encountered in the three batches I've brewed.

Thanks in advance!

I'm gunna try to point out a few things without being a d-bag, but I am severely lacking coffee at this point, so bear with me...

First, SG readings are going to lie to you in kombucha ferments. They will not help, nor will they be accurate or indicative of fermentation at all.

Continuous brewing is drawing off a small amount every day, and topping off with sweet tea. With my 2 gallon C.B. I draw off about a quart every day. You can vary the batch size or your daily draught to adjust the sweetness/tartness of your kombucha.

Don't use distilled water, it completely lacks all minerals, and your scoby needs them. Use tap or spring water.

Also, there's probably no airflow into your fermentation chamber, meaning there's no oxygen getting to your brew, and your scoby needs it. Counter top, covered with a towel, is the best place for it. Your place sounds a little warm for kombucha, but it's better than nothing.

I hope that helps some, good luck! :mug:

Hydrometer readings are useless when it comes to kombucha!
This is because there are different processes going on as in beer brewing (or in any other predominantly alcoholic fermentation).

Back