quick fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, brewing a dry stout tomorow, as per jamils recipe in BYO a couple months ago. Its going to be about 1.042 OG and I am using wyeast irish ale yeast.

Jamil says ferment at 65, so I will attempt to hit this target with reasonable accuracy.

I am just wondering what room temperature should be alright to leave this baby in. I assume, based upon my OG and yeast choice that it will heat up about 4 degrees. If I should look for a room/area in my house that is holding aproximately 61 degrees farenheit, would this be correct and safe?

room temp (61) + fermentation heat (4) = Jamils suggested fermentation temp of 65 degrees, no? would the beer heat up more than 4 degrees farenheit?

I have not completed my fermentation chiller yet, and wish to nail this brew...

thanks for the help!

sounds about right to me. congratulations if you have a variety of rooms at different temps!! how did you assume you'd warm up 4 degrees?? i've never heard of a formula for predicting how much heat your yeast will produce. seriously, as long as you're in the range you'll be just fine. i think you're over thinking this one just a bit.

Agreed. I ferment all my brews in my basement (around 63 or so for the year) and haven't had any stuck ferments. Pitch the yeast at around 65 and let it go until its complete, then rack. By the way, have a homebrew somewhere along the way.

+1 on you should'nt have a problem. Irish Ale is pretty durable yeast. I have used it up to 72 degrees and down to 60 with very little difference in profile. The roasted barley is going to dominate alot anyway. The only difference may be a slightly lengthend primary fermentation, but you won't even notice that if you wait at least a full week to rack.

Back