Firefox Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
I know we have quite a few of FF users on this forum and I was wondering if anyone has updated lately? Ever since the update FF has been restarting itself rather often. Sometimes it wont let me scroll on a web page with the arrow keys. It pisses me off and I know it has to be the update because it starter happening right after I updated. Anyone else experience any of this? Id suggest not updating when promted but that just my $.02.

As much as I like FF and open software, FF is getting more and more bloated all the time.

Right now I have 2 tabs open in 1 window - HBT and one I forgot to close, but simple html and another window with pandora running. FF memory usage - 189MB. WTF is that?

edt: on ff 2.0.0.11

z987k said:
As much as I like FF and open software, FF is getting more and more bloated all the time.

Right now I have 2 tabs open in 1 window - HBT and one I forgot to close, but simple html and another window with pandora running. FF memory usage - 189MB. WTF is that?

edt: on ff 2.0.0.11

That is strange I can open a dozen tabs and my memory usage is ~65MB

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I know we have quite a few of FF users on this forum and I was wondering if anyone has updated lately? Ever since the update FF has been restarting itself rather often. Sometimes it wont let me scroll on a web page with the arrow keys. It pisses me off and I know it has to be the update because it starter happening right after I updated. Anyone else experience any of this? Id suggest not updating when promted but that just my $.02.

If you are still having these issues try creating and using a new profile and see if the problem goes away.

wihophead said:
That is strange I can open a dozen tabs and my memory usage is ~65MB
start browsing various sites, watch it grow and never back off until you completely close it. Right now with only 1 window and tab open to HBT, I'm at 28.2MB.

I'm going to go visit 6 sites and then close all those tabs and edit this post to how much I have.

Sites were, and these are all ones I frequently use: youtube, digg, Noaa ADDS, pandora, woot, AHB.

Now with only this page open and nothing else my FF memory usage is 79.3mb. If I open them again, it will compound the problem until it gets up in the 3-400mb range.

I strictly use FF with no real problems. I hate IE. I deleted it from my desktop and from my start menu.

We did however have to reinstall it once because it was acting funny and it was fine after that.

2.0.0.11 on both Linux and Windows. Haven't noticed those problems on any of my machines. I primarily use Linux though, maybe it's a memory management problem on the Windows builds.

I have had it crash randomly a few times in the last week.. you know they will fix out the bugs soon though.

I'm at 2.0.11 on both W2K and CentOS with zero crashes. On the Linux system, memory usage sits at about 62M resident and 160-170M virtual.

On my desktop, firefox running for about 1 week straight, 102mb physical, 137mb virtual. On my laptop, firefix running about 3 hours, 75mb physical, 101mb virtual.

Both on ubuntu 7.10, firefox 2.0.0.11.

I use Iceweasel from Debian Sid's repo, currently version 2.0.0.11 and it's pretty stable. I do a lot of heavy virtualization for development, so my systems each have 4GB of RAM so memory usage doesn't concern me so much.

Often times, crashes and memory consumption problems stem from plugins and add-ons rather than Firefox itself.

bradsul said:
2.0.0.11 on both Linux and Windows. Haven't noticed those problems on any of my machines. I primarily use Linux though, maybe it's a memory management problem on the Windows builds.
Nah this is ubuntu gusty.

I think it's possible that it's the add ons, but all I have is ad-block plus and foxmarks.
I mean it works fine, and crashes occasionally especially when viewing a lot of flash videos, but I think it's well documented that FF is a memory hog since 2.0 came out.

Latest posts

Back