Sparkling vs carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Is there a difference between carbonated and sparkling? I bottle carbed a portion of my AW with carb tabs. I sampled a bottle the other night and it was plenty carbed, but when I poured, I got a small head on it rather than just continual bubbles like a sparkling wine. Does making something sparkling require that you first kill the yeast with PS and then force carbonate?

carb tabs (the little white ones, not the glucose drops) contain malto-dextrin, dextrin, glucose, and heading powder, which would explain the head on your apfelwein. Next time use either carb drops (the ones that just contain glucose in the ingrediants), corn sugar, or table sugar to carb and you will get initial foam but it will die down to just continual bubbles like a sparkling wine after a few seconds.

carb tabs (the little white ones, not the glucose drops) contain malto-dextrin, dextrin, glucose, and heading powder, which would explain the head on your apfelwein. Next time use either carb drops (the ones that just contain glucose in the ingrediants), corn sugar, or table sugar to carb and you will get initial foam but it will die down to just continual bubbles like a sparkling wine after a few seconds.

Thanks for the info. Should have checked the ingredients first. Just assumed it was just pure sugar. Nothing like drinking a wine with a head on it! I jumped at the convenience of the tabs when I only wanted to bottle a portion of the batch.

Latest posts

Back