Just brewed a SNCA clone... few questions re: bad hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I just brewed a SNCA clone with some centennial hops that seemed to be fine. After we finished brewing, I went home to vacuum seal the rest of the centennial and found that as I went further into the bag, some of the hops were "cheesy". Anything to be concerned with on the batch that is currently fermenting? It's not a big deal if I'm not going to get as much Flavor/Aroma from the centennials as planned, but if its gonna skunk the batch, then I'm a little more concerned. The guy I got the hops from won't do a damned thing...

It's Hops direct from now on... Some deals ARE too good to be true.

I'd say if they seemed to be fine, just roll with it. Might not be the freshest-hop-taste beer in the world, but I would guess it's GOT to be fine.

Now.. you want cheesy.. let me tell you about this pound of Simcoe I bought... most disappointing purchase ever, DEFINITELY falls under the category of too-good-to-be-true. Can't even OPEN the bag, it smells so funky.

These were '06 crop, purchased late-07 right before the shortage really kicked into gear. They were literally brown, dry, crumbly mess that smelled rotten. The Magnums and Pac Gems I got were fine, and made up for it. But I had to write off those Simcoe, and only tried them in one batch, which didn't come out at all. Guess they'd be fine for lambic hops though! Anywho, that's old hat.

Strange...I've been to BIY a couple times and never had a problem with them.

Huh?

Where'd you buy that pound of simcoe? The guy I got these hops from on Ebay had a pound of simcoe up around the same time I got the Centennial...

One thing I'll say is that when I'm splitting up pounds of fresh, quality hops, I practically have to lock my cats in a closet to keep them away from them. They absolutely love the smell of hops. They'll even try to drink my IIPA's cuz of the aroma. When I split up this pound, they didn't even come into the same room. Not to say that cats have anything to do with anything brewing related, but thats an observation I made when I was handling them.

Sorr about going off topic .... but do you have your recipe posted anywhere for your SNCA clone? I just had that stuff last week (apparently the place i bought it from had a couple cases of '07 left over) and thought it was awesome. Definitely want to brew my own.

I'd say if they seemed to be fine, just roll with it. Might not be the freshest-hop-taste beer in the world, but I would guess it's GOT to be fine.

Now.. you want cheesy.. let me tell you about this pound of Simcoe I bought... most disappointing purchase ever, DEFINITELY falls under the category of too-good-to-be-true. Can't even OPEN the bag, it smells so funky.

Oh man, I'm not a fan of Simcoe to begin with! Can't imagine what these buggers were like!

Sorr about going off topic .... but do you have your recipe posted anywhere for your SNCA clone? I just had that stuff last week (apparently the place i bought it from had a couple cases of '07 left over) and thought it was awesome. Definitely want to brew my own.
+1 to that! :mug:

Back