Too much carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericw

Reaction score
A buddy and I made a batch of Black Lager a few months ago, and after sitting in bottles for 4 weeks, it was time for testing. I had one last night that was at room temp, and when I opened the bottle, beer went everywhere. It was similar to opening a soda after you threw it across the room. I keep the bottles in a spare bathroom closet, in upper 60deg temps. When we filled the bottles, we used a filler tube, so there was the correct amount of headspace in the bottle. Any idea what happened? He tried one this weekend and the same happened, but he chilled his before opening. The beer tasted good, but was a little flat, since all the carbonation was on the kitchen counter. :(

Most room temp beers will gush. Chilling it re-absorbs the co2 into the solution. That's why we recommend chilling them down for at least 48 hours before tasting them.

most room temp beers will gush. Chilling it re-absorbs the co2 into the solution. That's why we recommend chilling them down for at least 48 hours before tasting them.

+1............

Back