Pumpkin ale as a 21B Christmas Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slobberchops

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin ale loosely patterned after Southern Tier PumKING and plan to enter it into a local charity competition. The question I have is which BJCP category to enter it in? Must it be a 21A Herb/spice/vegetable beer, or could it be a 21B Christmas beer?

The reason I ask is that I don't have a very good idea of what "base beer" style this beer is; this must be specified in 21A but does NOT need to be specified in 21B, hence my inclination towards entering it in 21B.

If it needs to go in 21A, I would like to ask for some help in determining what style it is. It is 2-row with some Crystal 20 and Victory Malt. I added 4 lbs of pumpkin to the mash, and spiced with cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and clove. I bittered with Super Galena, and dry-hopped with Saaz. Yeast was WLP002 English Ale. It's about 9.3% ABV, 12 SRM, and 32 IBUs. If I had to assign a "base beer" style I guess I'd say ESB, but that doesn't seem quite right.

Thank you for any advice or opinions!

Since yours is a lighter color,I'd say 21A. 21B,Christmas ales are mostly dark amber or darker to better balance all the spices,fruit flavors,etc.

Back