Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thumper, all I did was add 2 lbs of base malt and reduce the extract - this is how I converted it for my setup (3 gallon boil pot, 2 gallon round cooler MLT, large grain bag):

2 lbs British Pale malt (Maris Otter)
1 lb Munich malt
1 lb CaraMunich
8 oz Crystal 40L
7 lbs fresh light LME

Mash grains in 6 quarts of water, shooting for mash temp 150-152*F for 1 hour
Sparge grain bag in boil pot with 6.75 quarts of water @170 for 5-10 minutes, agitate and drain bag
Pour mash runnings from cooler into boil pot w/sparge runnings
Start boil

Hops schedule:
1.0 oz Perle 8.2% (leaf) @60 min
0.5 oz Perle 8.2% (leaf) @30 min
0.25 oz Perle 8.2% (leaf) @5 min
0.5 oz Saaz 2.7% (leaf) @5 min

I wait to add all of the LME until 10 minutes left in the boil, before the last hops additions (by this time enough liquid has boiled off that there is room in the pot for the 7 lbs of LME). I remove from the burner, stir in the extract well and then restart the boil, usually adding Irish Moss and yeast nutrient. Once it's boiling again I restart the timer and add the last hops. Cool, top off to 5.5 gallons and pitch yeast (pacman starter or US-05 dry yeast).

Depending on your mini-mash efficiency, you may adjust the extract a little - I'm getting 65-70% to hit OG of 1.066-1.067 and it usually finishes at 1.016-1.017.

Good luck! I hope Yooper doesn't mind me posting my slight PM variation

Just brewed this today, ended up with OG of 1.069 so not too bad. One question though. The Saaz Listed hasa low AAU of 2.7% where as mine was at 6.8%. Do Saaz really come in that different AAU? Yooper what is your avg?

Just brewed this today, ended up with OG of 1.069 so not too bad. One question though. The Saaz Listed hasa low AAU of 2.7% where as mine was at 6.8%. Do Saaz really come in that different AAU? Yooper what is your avg?

In the past, they were always around 4.8-5% but last year(or maybe the year before) I got the 2.7% from AHS.

I see...so the point being that I might get more attenuation than what I'm hoping for - ultimately getting a drier beer or more alcohol than desired, right?

After 5 1/2 days, my activity has slowed - it was crazy vigorous in the first 48 hours - very similar to the first batch I made, but slowed afterwards and my bubbling has gone down significantly. I'll take an SG tonight and report back.

I figured that with an initial gravity of 1.070, I needed a starter. My first batch used US05, unhydrated. This time I didn't have any liquid yeast on hand, let alone what Yooper suggested, so I made a US05 starter.

If my SG is dangerously flirting with 1.015 or below, what can I throw in there to stop fermentation? Would cold crashing help?

Attenuation can certainly be affected in larger beers. With normal gravity beers, and yours is right on the edge IMHO, you are more likely to have an issue with off flavors. Zymurgy or BYO did an experiment about six months ago with over/underpitching and there was no difference in final gravity. They did notice a difference in time lag and flavor. Since they did not experiment with high gravity beers, they would not have had the issue of yeast stressed by the higher than normal alcohol levels which can affect attenuation. They also did not use liquid yeast.

In the past, they were always around 4.8-5% but last year(or maybe the year before) I got the 2.7% from AHS.

Wow, I should have probably gone with a lower AAU hops then, maybe Sterling or something. I knew I had Saaz left over from a previous batch so didnt bother to get anymore. Wish i would have looked at them first. Oh well. I'll know how this turns out in a few weeks.

Attenuation can certainly be affected in larger beers. With normal gravity beers, and yours is right on the edge IMHO, you are more likely to have an issue with off flavors. Zymurgy or BYO did an experiment about six months ago with over/underpitching and there was no difference in final gravity. They did notice a difference in time lag and flavor. Since they did not experiment with high gravity beers, they would not have had the issue of yeast stressed by the higher than normal alcohol levels which can affect attenuation. They also did not use liquid yeast.

Okay...I'm scheduled to bottle this batch around the 30th. I'm leaving it in the primary for 24 days. I'll provide a taste report around June 18th-20th.

Update: Just kegged this today with a 1.016FG so... 7.3% ABV. Little stronger than I was hoping for but thats ok, I need a higher octane brew around since my Scottish is about gone. The sample really tasted nice. This is 1 of 2 beers I made under fermentation temp control and what a difference it makes. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

Another update: This is yummy! Been in the keg for 6 days and taste great. I force carbed it at 30PSI for 24 hours then set to 11PSI. Will try and get a pic posted next time I pour a fresh glass. Thanks again Yooper

I brewed this on 5/1, bottled it on 6/1 and had my first two this past weekend. I use the AG receipe with R/O water built up to the style.

It's an amazing beer. Definitely one of the best I've brewed. Thanks for the recipe and tips.

Gonna brew this one this weekend on Fathers Day! Going to use S-05 instead of Pacman. Need a good title... Dead Daddy Day Maibock... maybe....

Thanks for the recipe I will report back when done.

John.

Gonna brew this one this weekend on Fathers Day! Going to use S-05 instead of Pacman. Need a good title... Dead Daddy Day Maibock... maybe....

Thanks for the recipe I will report back when done.

John.

That is the yeast that I used and it came out great! :mug:

OK just got back from Disney Land and I needed a beer. So I went to the Fridge and poured a nice frosty glass of this.

DSCN2232.jpg

Well, I guess add this up to the continued debate/research - this tastes the same as the last batch I did. I detected no off-flavors with this one and the final ABV was 7.1%. Go figure. Still a great beer! I can't wait to brew it all-grain!

This will be my 4th of July brew day. Brewed it once before with Wyeast European Ale Yeast (1338) but will be using the Wyeast Pacman seasonal (1764) this time. One room in my basement is still at 66 degrees so I should be good to go without additional cooling.

I picked up all the ingredients today at LHBS

He said on the phone he had the MO, but when I arrived, only 3 lbs (!) ,,, I substituted 10 lbs of American 2-row pale ...I hope this doen't change things too much

Also - I will be using second generation US-05. Going to get a 2L starter going tonight (He didn't have a packet of that either- order coming in next week).

Has anyone harvested PacMan yeast ? If so, I cld see picking up a couple bottles..

If all goes well, maybe ready by labor day (??) ..

Hit 1046 last night - first attempt at this recipe, but happy to see nice fermentation action from harvested US-05 .. 64 deg and holding..down to my last fermenter (#5)

OK - first time this has ever happened ... the rubber stopper and airlock blew off the top of the better bottle ... I found it this AM in the muck bucket...fruit flies buzzing around the open neck of the better bottle...I am sure a few found their way inside ...

I didn't put that much US-05 yeast in there , and there was plenty of room....temp was/is a steady 64 .. they obviously liked what they were fed...

It wasn't pouring stuff out of the top ... so I washed the top off w/hot hot water and re-sealed...

I am praying it did not get infected...

Time to read up on blowoff tubes ....

Just now doing a side by side of the real Dead Guy ale and the one I made. They are similar in color, smell and on the front side. On the back of the tongue theres a subtle difference in the hops. The bottle I'm drinking has a little more bitterness to it. but both leave that sweet residual taste at the finish. Taking into consideration that I don't know what this bottle condition has been until I bought it, I would have to say this is pretty damn close to the real deal.

Had the first bottle of my batch last night, it's amazingly delicious.

I had actually upped the hops a bit from your recipe, and I still feel that it is a little weak in that regard. That would be my only picky note with the recipe, otherwise it is spot on and amazing.

Thank you Yooper for this clone!

I'm about to make my second batch of this. It came out amazing ! I used Safale-05 and my LHBS didnt have any saaz so I had some Willamette left over and used that (1/2 oz instead of the 1/4 at 5 min) just threw whatever I had left in there. I also added another LB of LDME so my final abv was around 8% but very drinkable although dangerous. I'm pretty new to this, about 7 batches in but this was definitely my best batch yet. Great Recipe ...

Had a brewers' get-together at the LHBS in Brattleboro ...everyone brought some offerings. The Dead guy - even at only 4 weeks d, folks were pleased.

Tried a 2 year old mead there .. excellent.

You guys are reminding me that I have to make this again! With fall coming, a heavier malty beer is probably just what we need.

I haven't made this in a while, and I know I have all the ingredients so I have to add it to my list for sure!

Has anyone every used

Nottingham?

Trappist High Gravity?

Irish Ale?

German Lager?

these are the washed yeasts that I have in house, and would rather not wait for a shipment from an internet hbs.

Thanks yooper, that makes me feel better about brewing, so that I don't have to wait for another delivery/

I am working with my new 10-12 gallon converted keg system, and things really aren,t dialed in yet.

I was concerned during mash that my temps were too high, because after I inserted my floating thermometer, it read a temp of 166. I came to find out later that my thermometer is off by about 7 degrees, so I hope that I was actually at 159, though I was aiming for 157. This bothered me a lot, but what can you do...

My efficiency was way low, the other two batches on this system have come in in the high 80,s, so I adjusted my grain bill down, and this one limped in around 71 at 1.048 instead of 1.066. I was pretty much settled in to see what happened, when all of a sudden...

Fermentation (good solid rumbling) started about 2 hours after pitching on top of another nottingham yeat cake? I have never had fermentation start so vigorously, so quick. Pretty wild :)

Brewed my second batch end of July ... so now it is really maturing and tastes great ... last night went out for dinner to the place that has the DG on tap ... this is VERY close ! Nice recipe !

Going from Yoopers recipe at the start of this thread (extract version) at what points did you all add the extract and what volumes were you boiling?

Yooper, the recipe looks awesome! I just had a quick question about the hop schedule. I received some older and very low AA Saaz (0.7% actually...) from the local brewing club.

Your 5 min addition of Saaz is intended for aroma and not bittering right? So I figure just add 1/4 oz of 0.7% Saaz (0.1 IBU) and maybe drop in an extra pellet or three of Pearle.

I am not really sure what the end effect on the beer would be if I were to dump 2 oz of 0.7% Saaz in at 5 min if any.

Well thanks for the recipe! I tried a few bombers of store-bought Dead Guy and I'm hooked.

Yooper, the recipe looks awesome! I just had a quick question about the hop schedule. I received some older and very low AA Saaz (0.7% actually...) from the local brewing club.

Your 5 min addition of Saaz is intended for aroma and not bittering right? So I figure just add 1/4 oz of 0.7% Saaz (0.1 IBU) and maybe drop in an extra pellet or three of Pearle.

I am not really sure what the end effect on the beer would be if I were to dump 2 oz of 0.7% Saaz in at 5 min if any.

Well thanks for the recipe! I tried a few bombers of store-bought Dead Guy and I'm hooked.

I've never seen hops with AAUs that low! If they're older, smell them and see if they are aromatic. If they've lost some of their aroma and flavor, you may not want to use them.

I've never seen hops with AAUs that low! If they're older, smell them and see if they are aromatic. If they've lost some of their aroma and flavor, you may not want to use them.

They are about a year old and the original AA was 1%, apparently there was a really low yield crop of Saaz a while ago. They are well sealed and smell great. I think I'll go ahead with using them and let you know how they turn out.

Brewed the Dead Guy today....OG turned out to be 1.071; that's a little stiff, but so be it. Was low on Perle hops, so just upped the Saaz. No caramunich to be had on the manor, so I put in a pound of Dingeman's Cara 45 Belgian Malt. I'm thinking it won't change things that much.
Pitched a gob of S-05 I washed last Friday....should provide a good take-off.

Alright guys her's the deal. My wife, who holds Sunday get togethers with friends, decided she and her friends want to brew me a beer while I'm away. I'm all for the deal so I ordered her some ingredients and they're going to brew it for me soon. She's helped me brew once, and has brewed a mead while I've been away.

I wrote her up some instructions for this beer and tried to make them as clear as possible. Could you guys take a look and let me know if recipe and process sounds right and understandable. Also, what style should I use to calculate the amount of priming sugar. I did it for American Pale Ale--Amber Ale. Thanks for the help and the recipe.

Ingredients:

2lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
1lbs Caramunich Malt
1lbs Munich Malt
8oz Crystal 40L
5lbs Extra Dry DME
2lbs Light Dry DME
1oz Pearle (60 min)
.25oz Pearle (30 min)
.25oz Saaz (5 min)
.25oz Pearle (5 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tab.. (Boil 15 min)
Wyest Nutrient (Boil 10min)
1 Wyeast PacMan Smack Pack (follow instruction on pack)

Preperation: Clean carboys with Onstep, then on brew day sanitize all equipment with Starsan. I fill part of the carboy up with Starsan and set on its side and roll it every few minutes until the entire inside has been sanitized. Fill up a large Rubbermaid with Starsan to soak spoons, measuring tools and anything else. Wipe all counters and keep hands clean.

1) Combine all grains into grain bag
2) Add 1.5 gallons of water to Largest Kettle and heat to 158* once at 158* add grain bag and let sit for 60 minutes. Monitor temp to make sure it stays at 158*
3) Heat .5 gallon of sparge water to 170*
4) After steeping for 60 minutes lift the grain bag into colander and hold over kettle use 170* sparge water to sparge grains by pouring it over the top of the grain bag rinsing all the grains thoroughly. Once complete dispose of grains.
5) Add 2 gallons of water to the kettle and stir in all the DME
6) Boil for 60 minutes keeping a rigorous boil without letting it boil over, add hop additions as identified in ingredients section.
7) Cool wort using sanitized wort chiller to 72* then add to carboy.
8) Add cold water to the carboy until you have 5 gallons of wort.
9) Take gravity reading
10) Pitch yeast that has been smacked already to carboy and aerate.
11) Put carboy in keezer set at 60* and add blow off tube (take sanitized large hose and put one end in carboy, and put the other end into pitcher of Starsan).
12) Let sit for 10days or until gravity reads the same for 3 readings.
13) Rack to secondary and let sit for 3-4 weeks
14) Wash and sanitize 60 bottles, caps and racking equipments.
15) Bring 1 cup of water to boil and mix in 4.7oz of table sugar.
16) Once completely dissolved mix thoroughly to carboy.
17) Attach hose and battle filler attachment to bottling bucket and fill bottles.
18) Let bottles sit at room temp. until time to drink.

Yoops, you'll be so proud. I brewed it up last night, and I want you to know that there will be at least one batch of your beer consumed at Deer Camp in Michigan this year! Not sure if anyone else will be taking it with them, but I can gar-un-t at least one keg of Yoop's Dead Guy (Dead Buck) will be hanging from a buck pole this year!

Yoops, you'll be so proud. I brewed it up last night, and I want you to know that there will be at least one batch of your beer consumed at Deer Camp in Michigan this year! Not sure if anyone else will be taking it with them, but I can gar-un-t at least one keg of Yoop's Dead Guy (Dead Buck) will be hanging from a buck pole this year!

That's great! I haven't made it in a while, since we've been in our "hophead phase", but it's nice to think of others at deer camp drinking it! We'll be taking a small supply of Short's Huma Lupa licious to deer camp. I need to brew!

Back