Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In California, it's basically required that the employee take it. I'm not sure if it's *explicitly* required in the law, but if employees don't take it, and then quit or are fired, they can pretty easily sue and say that their boss prevented them from taking it (and probably win). So employers here will often explicitly police this to make sure that the employee is taking their lunch. I've heard of people being disciplined for *not* taking their lunch break.
When I worked the warehouse it was company policy (or Provincial law?) that 8 hours shifts required a 1 hour lunch break. Too damn long if you asked me. The shifts for employees were laid out in such a fashion that no 2 employees in the same department would have lunch at the same time to ensure proper customer support in the retail section of the store.

With management agreeing that these didn't really apply to us, they allowed voluntary short lunches so our day could be shorter and that we could take it whenever we felt like because customers don't need warehouse employees.

I've got a really stupid company policy thing that should entertain you all. I work 12 hour swing shift. I leave when my relief gets there, he leaves when I get back 12 hours later, and it continues like that as we roll through the various shifts. The corporate office decided that all locations needed this Kronos time clock system. Here's the kicker; it only applied to production who were on shift, and maintenance. It didn't apply to anyone in the offices or the supervisors, who are the only ones who screw the company out of time. So they can all come and go as they please, but those of us who have to be accountable to the person relieving us have to clock in and out. I heard rumors that finally after nearly two years, they may have to clock in too.

The mens room here is designed to be used by 1 person at a time. There is a toilet & right next to it there is a urinal. No divider. If you were unfortunate enough to be sitting on the toilet while someone was standing at the urinal, your face would be right about d!ck level & only about 12-16 inches away. It's obviously not intended to be used by more than 1 person at a time.

Now there really shouldn't be any debate about what you do with each device. A urinal is meant to be used to pee standing up; the toilet to be used for defecation & urinating whilst sitting down. If there were no urinal, then the toilet would also be used to pee standing up, but this is not the case.

Enter the inconsiderate a$$hole, who pees while standing up, into the toilet, dribbling urine onto the seat; with the urinal only a step away. I'd like to stake him down & pee on him.
End rant. GF.

At my workplace somebody took a huge shīt in the middle of the hallway and we found it last night.
I work in the medical area of a university. Let that sink in for a moment

At my workplace somebody took a huge shīt in the middle of the hallway and we found it last night.
My fire chief is also the head custodian at our elementary school, so the fact that he recently had to deal with a similar situation is not surprising.

What is surprising was.... it was in the middle of the teachers lounge. (and apparently of sufficient..ahem...volume... that it was very likely NOT one of the kids)

We've got a guy on my shift of 5 that is so nasty he has his own bathroom. No one else would dare use it. There are 4 shifts, so 20 guys total. There was 1 woman who had her own bathroom. We finally complained enough, and the company looked at the state law, and she was only required to have a bathroom with a lock, not complete segregation. This one guy on my shift will occasionally use our bathroom and piss all over the floor around the urinal. The cleaning lady said he went back in his bathroom after she cleaned it one morning and pissed all over the seat and around the toilet. Oh yeah, on nights, he walks around with just his socks on, no shoes. Walking all through his piss covered bathroom.

We've got a guy on my shift of 5 that is so nasty he has his own bathroom. No one else would dare use it. There are 4 shifts, so 20 guys total. There was 1 woman who had her own bathroom. We finally complained enough, and the company looked at the state law, and she was only required to have a bathroom with a lock, not complete segregation. This one guy on my shift will occasionally use our bathroom and piss all over the floor around the urinal. The cleaning lady said he went back in his bathroom after she cleaned it one morning and pissed all over the seat and around the toilet. Oh yeah, on nights, he walks around with just his socks on, no shoes. Walking all through his piss covered bathroom.

Ugh. Dude.......... lol..

One of my coworkers can't hit the urinal, but I honestly think he's too short to straddle it and his beer gut is too big for him to see to aim.

He's a home brewer.

Geez I feel pretty lucky. I work in a building with about 100 employees and a lot of public use. The bathrooms (men's anyway, can't speak for the women's) are always pretty darn clean. I've never even seen any graffiti in the five or six years we've been there.

before we moved location, our bathroom was a crapper and a urinal. about exactly the same as GF described. instead of putting in another bathroom, company put up a divider so 1 guy could s#!t and the other could piss at the same time. we still only used it one at a time. our new buildings' bathrooms are now two crappers and two urinals. just as bad IMO.

I would think there would be security cameras that caught that.
Time for the hazmat team; that's a biohazard.
Regards, GF.

In California, it's basically required that the employee take it. I'm not sure if it's *explicitly* required in the law, but if employees don't take it, and then quit or are fired, they can pretty easily sue and say that their boss prevented them from taking it (and probably win). So employers here will often explicitly police this to make sure that the employee is taking their lunch. I've heard of people being disciplined for *not* taking their lunch break.

That only applies to hourly employees, though.

The point behind disciplining an employee for not taking their lunch break is in case the company is sued over break periods. This allows the employer to prove employees are getting their breaks and the employer is actively following the law. Enforcing employees will take their full 30 minute break.

It is just one big screwed up circle the courts and lawyers have created.
:mug:

We were recently (with the new year) scolded and forced to clock out for our lunches. Previously, if I had enough work to do I just ate while I worked. Now that I'm flooded with work, I work through lunch so I don't get buried. The only difference is now I don't get paid to knock out piles of drawings.

Oh well. I'll soon have that 2 years of experience under my belt that employers require :)confused:) so if this place doesn't get me what I deserve, I'm out.

We were recently (with the new year) scolded and forced to clock out for our lunches. Previously, if I had enough work to do I just ate while I worked. Now that I'm flooded with work, I work through lunch so I don't get buried. The only difference is now I don't get paid to knock out piles of drawings.

Oh well. I'll soon have that 2 years of experience under my belt that employers require :)confused:) so if this place doesn't get me what I deserve, I'm out.

Sounds like a real nice place to work. Right at the two year mark, or now if you're close, let the ball drop and let them pick up the pieces. No pay=no work. If you're forced to take a lunch, take it. Let them give you OT or do the drawings themselves.

My coworker ranting about some San Antonio-based charity group that made the news recently for raising over a million dollars for starving children in Africa:

Her: "Oh yeah, that's great and all, but what about the MILLIONS of starving children right here in San Antonio?"

Me: "I don't think there are millions are starving kids in the city of San Antonio...."

Her: "Why not?"

Me: "Forget it. You're probably right."

Quick googlery:
San Antonio population: ~1.4 million
% under 18: ~27% (or ~378,000)
% below the poverty level: ~20%

The mens room here is designed to be used by 1 person at a time. There is a toilet & right next to it there is a urinal. No divider. If you were unfortunate enough to be sitting on the toilet while someone was standing at the urinal, your face would be right about d!ck level & only about 12-16 inches away. It's obviously not intended to be used by more than 1 person at a time.

Now there really shouldn't be any debate about what you do with each device. A urinal is meant to be used to pee standing up; the toilet to be used for defecation & urinating whilst sitting down. If there were no urinal, then the toilet would also be used to pee standing up, but this is not the case.

Enter the inconsiderate a$$hole, who pees while standing up, into the toilet, dribbling urine onto the seat; with the urinal only a step away. I'd like to stake him down & pee on him.
End rant. GF.

You should poop in the urinal right before you leave for the day. Leave a note saying you wanted to use toilet, but there was pee all over the seat.

Obviously, don't sign the note.

Never, ever work for free.

I made that mistake. I chased the threads on over 2,000 hot dip galvanized 1/4" bolts by hand, on my own time. office boss thought I could just put them in the threader. I explained to him why I wouldn't and then showed him why I wouldn't. I then told him that I'd rather come in on my time off and do them by hand (the right way) than get paid to flocc them up in the threader. he said, "You know, *Billy*, too many people come up with excuses why they can't do something and not enough reasons why they can do something." I had to tell him again that I would rather come in on my time off than mess them up in the threader. he still didn't get it. he was a true E.I.

The building I work at houses about half a dozen separate companies. We all share a common set of bathrooms. Someone at one of these companies somehow manages on about a daily basis to get a few drops of urine on TOP of the urinal. WTF is that about??? I mean, HOW do you make that happen on a daily basis without explicitly trying to do so?

The building I work at houses about half a dozen separate companies. We all share a common set of bathrooms. Someone at one of these companies somehow manages on about a daily basis to get a few drops of urine on TOP of the urinal. WTF is that about??? I mean, HOW do you make that happen on a daily basis without explicitly trying to do so?

Was enjoying a little too much adult entertainment on the computer and aim was difficult? Or was really enthusiastic about getting those last couple drops off?

My coworker ranting about some San Antonio-based charity group that made the news recently for raising over a million dollars for starving children in Africa:

Her: "Oh yeah, that's great and all, but what about the MILLIONS of starving children right here in San Antonio?"

Me: "I don't think there are millions are starving kids in the city of San Antonio...."

Her: "Why not?"

Me: "Forget it. You're probably right."

Quick googlery:
San Antonio population: ~1.4 million
% under 18: ~27% (or ~378,000)
% below the poverty level: ~20%

Math strikes again!

I used to work at a nearby VA Hosp.. It was originally also a mental institution. Still have a lot of patients who need to be in lock down. Can't work in some areas unless you don't mind your tools walking and then those tools might become weapons. Many of the buildings are connected by tunnel. Anyway some of the patients, when they feel the need, just drop a dookie in the tunnel.
I work for a different branch of the federal gov't now. Ten hour days no set lunch break. You take it when you can. Unless there's an emergency.

I have one other guy on my team on second shift. He's constantly checking to see what I'm doing, in an effort to gauge how busy I am. If I don't look busy enough to him, he will invent some question or issue that requires my attention, so I can be busy enough to suit him.

I was the "lead" guy in a small area of a big plant, had two guys under me. One of the guys had a very laborious position and was a lazy ass. I did my best to make sure he got at least the bare minimum to cover the position everyday. He was a friend before I was his leader, I knew his wife didn't want to see her and their kids suffer. He finally came around and started doing his job.

Well turns out that the guy that does his job on the opposite shift has an issue with him. Starts halving his work load everyday and leaving it for my shift. My guy complains to me so I document it daily for a few weeks and bring it to the area supervisor. His response? "That's just his way of sharing the workload". I nearly popped a roid on that one. My guy leaves work he's a lazy arse, this guy leaves work, it's perfectly acceptable. Laziness is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

Prolly has a little wanker and is getting it on his hands. See the beer gut post above.

My co-worker is so annoying... he just sits there reading HBT all day with short bursts of productiveness in-between to keep up the charade and the man off his back.

Dude just sits there and snickers all day, and types way more than is necessary for this job and drinks on lunch and... oh ****, that's me.

My co-worker is so annoying... he just sits there reading HBT all day with short bursts of productiveness in-between to keep up the charade and the man off his back.

Dude just sits there and snickers all day, and types way more than is necessary for this job and drinks on lunch and... oh ****, that's me.

I was unaware you were in the cubicle behind me!

I was the "lead" guy in a small area of a big plant, had two guys under me. One of the guys had a very laborious position and was a lazy ass. I did my best to make sure he got at least the bare minimum to cover the position everyday. He was a friend before I was his leader, I knew his wife didn't want to see her and their kids suffer. He finally came around and started doing his job.

Well turns out that the guy that does his job on the opposite shift has an issue with him. Starts halving his work load everyday and leaving it for my shift. My guy complains to me so I document it daily for a few weeks and bring it to the area supervisor. His response? "That's just his way of sharing the workload". I nearly popped a roid on that one. My guy leaves work he's a lazy arse, this guy leaves work, it's perfectly acceptable. Laziness is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

we battle that with our night crew every single work day.

Face it... the night crew is never quite right.

ours gets less done in more working hours a day/night than day shift and never gets a talking to about it. yesterday two guys on days were going over a special trailer they were building and we all got in "trouble" for talking on the job. appearently their fancy cameras with the microphones only work from 5am to 4pm and employees sharing ideas on specific work they are doing together is a security issue. I think the microphones are a bluff. I've stated enough of my opinions loud enough that I should have had quite the verbal reprimand by now.

ours gets less done in more working hours a day/night than day shift and never gets a talking to about it. yesterday two guys on days were going over a special trailer they were building and we all got in "trouble" for talking on the job. appearently their fancy cameras with the microphones only work from 5am to 4pm and employees sharing ideas on specific work they are doing together is a security issue. I think the microphones are a bluff. I've stated enough of my opinions loud enough that I should have had quite the verbal reprimand by now.

Yeah... but they're doing it on Meth.

I used to work at a nearby VA Hosp.. It was originally also a mental institution. Still have a lot of patients who need to be in lock down. Can't work in some areas unless you don't mind your tools walking and then those tools might become weapons. Many of the buildings are connected by tunnel. Anyway some of the patients, when they feel the need, just drop a dookie in the tunnel.

I used to work at an institution for mentally retarded. You don't want to know what some people will do with a beemer on the floor.
Face it... the night crew is never quite right.

Ha! Last week, one of our night crew called out two hours after start of shift, after his wife and the cops called looking for him. He's been admitted somewhere. Tonight, we got a collect call from jail. Another night shifter calling out for a few days.

That's dedication, right there. Using your one phone call to call out of work! Poor guy couldn't even use sick time, due to the whole being in jail thing. Though I suppose if it were a DWI, that could count as sick.

people who are just clearly incompetent. when someone is incompetent i tend to call them out, this doesn't endear me to some people, but i'm talking about people who should know better, have been doing a job in a field for a long time and just should shape up or ship out.

Back