Problem with Final Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyfoster

Reaction score
I have a Brown ale, this is my first brew. I followed all the instructions and the Begining Gravity was right on and now after 8 days it should be between 1.010 - 1.012 but has been at 1.020 for the last two days, should I just allow it to sit longer or do I need to do something before bottling.

Begining Gravity was to be between 1.043-1.045 and ws 1.045

I have a Brown ale, this is my first brew. I followed all the instructions and the Begining Gravity was right on and now after 8 days it should be between 1.010 - 1.012 but has been at 1.020 for the last two days, should I just allow it to sit longer or do I need to do something before bottling.

What is the beginning gravity?

I wonder what they obsessed over in the days before hydrometers?

It may help to:

-Warm it up a little (around 70* F)
-Give it a gentle swirl (NO AERATING!)
-Rack to secondary
-Wait
-Enjoy it as it will still be tasty

Welcome to HBT!

The problem is that yeast never looks at a calendar so it doesn't know what day it's suppose to be done. :D

Give it a little swirl to get the yeast going again and let it sit for another week or two. The yeast hasn't finished with it's job fermenting or cleaning up your beer. Waiting is the hardest part of brewing when you're just starting out!

Welcome to HBT!

The problem is that yeast never looks at a calendar so it doesn't know what day it's suppose to be done. :D

Give it a little swirl to get the yeast going again and let it sit for another week or two. The yeast hasn't finished with it's job fermenting or cleaning up your beer. Waiting is the hardest part of brewing when you're just starting out!

Thanks for all the info so quickly.

this is great site.

Brew seemed to turn out ok, the gravity was up when I warmed the sample a little. It looked pretty good when bottled and hopefully will clear up during the next 4 weeks.

Back