12 Gallon Stainless open fermenter - WLP665?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
My wife & I do a lot of canning so we had her parents pick us up one of these when they were in Ohio. Stainless, 12 gallon capacity, rectangular fermenter, right?

Canning season is about done here for the year and I got two vials of WLP665 from Rebel yesterday. I'd been planning on doing two 5.5 gallon batches in two carboys. I emailed White Labs about their recommended procedure for 665 and they suggest leaving the beer in primary at least 2 months before racking to age and let the non-yeast bugs get to work. I've 'only' got three 6 or 6.5 gallon primaries and don't want to tie them up for that long. I'd already thought about trying the canner as a fermenter and this seems like it might be a good beer to try it with. I'm hesitant to try something this awesome as my first ferment in it, though.

Feedback or experiences with similar would be greatly appreciated. Planning to brew today, but didn't get my order in time to get a starter going, so I'm trying to decide what to brew that doesn't need one.

I could see using it as a cool ship if it were shallower. There is a BTV episode of them using a cool ship. I'd look into that.

I don't think I would ferment in an open container for 2 months. If it was 5-10 days, maybe. I like how that website says it's Amish made. Since when do Amish have electricity and welders ?

For the small volume, I'd say too deep for a coolship. I've got a Hobart proofer cabinet that I got really cheap without checking to see if I could get it into my bakery. Lots of stainless sheet that will hopefully end up as a coolship, albeit larger than I'll really ever need....

I'm going to try 10 gallons of Berliner Weisse first. Sour mash and saf-05 so if it goes awry, I'm 20$ or less. For the red ale, it does have a lid. It's not airtight, but neither is a barrel. Guess ill find out if the first batch goes well.

As to the Amish question, look it up.

I don't think I would ferment in an open container for 2 months. If it was 5-10 days, maybe. I like how that website says it's Amish made. Since when do Amish have electricity and welders ?

there are many different types of amish and using electricity is not as uncommon as it once was. even the amish who did not have electricity in their homes would use it to power equipment needed on the farm, like welders. certainly amish who have commercial enterprises do not have any problem using electricity otherwise they would not be interacting with us "english" at all.

Latest posts

Back