Did a little side by side tonight. Hobgoblin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
After doing orfy's Hobgoblin clone and getting it all bottled, decided to go a get the real thing for comparison. I did orfy's recipe except used a liquid yeast, and did a double decocation mash. It has been in the bottle for two weeks, but already very good. As far as I could tell their where only a few differences, im no expert, and I think they were for the better. The real one had a slightly less hop aroma than mine. The real one also had a almost copper after taste. I have tasted this in other English beers, must be from shipping or some other element. Mine the chocolate grains stood out a little more. Color seemed to be spot on. Over all my roommate and me both thought orfy's was the better. Also went to see my parents this weekend and my dad said it was the best beer I have done so far. Thanks for the great recipe orfy, this will be brewed again.
Here are a few pictures, of the two.
8404-DSCF0327.JPG

8404-DSCF0329.JPG

Congrats! Looks like we're seeing double.

Feels good when your beer is better than the real one. Something about the freshness does it.

orfy said:
Nice brew well done..

I find The choloclate roastiness comes through more than the original but it mellows after a few more weeks.

WD......:mug:

Thanks, I don't think it will last long, I like the extra kick of chocolate grains in your version.:mug:

Back