Converting a True Brew Belgian recipe to Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
OK, I was at a HBS in a town I work in , and while hanging out decided to pick up a True Brew Kit. I have not done an extract kit in a while, and figured it would be fun, plus this was thier Belgian Ale, so I figured cool plus 2. I had never done a True Brew kit, only Brewer's Best kits prior to ging to AG brewing.

Got it home, and forgot about it for a few days. Drag it out tonight to read over the instructions, and Um.. yea. ( Bottle in a week! LOL )

So I'm just gonna try to look at it as a box of supplies - not as a kit.

I have the ability to do a full boil, so here's my plans - any comments / advice warmly welcomed - plan to brew this Saturday.

1) Steep the grains ( .375 lbs Pale Grain - Crystal 10 I guess?) in 1 gallon water
2) Add 3 gallons and get up t0 about 185 and add 3.3 Light LME
3) Top up to 6 gallons, and add 1 oz Northern Brewer at boil
4) at 30 mins remaining add the 1 oz Styrian Golding
5) at 20 mins remaining add the 1 lb (white opaque) candy sugar
6) at 10 mins remaining add the 3 lbs DME - 1 lb each of Extra Light, Light and Wheat
7) At Flame out add the 1 oz of Czech Saaz hops

10 minute rest

Then Ferment as my normal 3 weeks.

This sound viable? I mean, I have done a dozen AG batches now, and about 8 Extract kits before them, but always followed this kit - but based on my experiences and what I have read here, the directions in this box , for lack of better words , seem like they are set out against you from the start.

Comments?

** EDIT ** Forgot to ask - if I plug this in Brewsmith, I get an IBU of 50.4 . The recipe claims 15.5 . I know the water volume is the culprit - how would you go about factoring in the get the desired amount?

Cut down the amount of the hops.. e.g., instead of 1 oz NB at 60, add only 1/4 ounce...or whatever... in Beersmith you can select the individual hop and reduce the amount to adjust the IBU's contributed by that hop.

Cut down the amount of the hops.. e.g., instead of 1 oz NB at 60, add only 1/4 ounce...or whatever... in Beersmith you can select the individual hop and reduce the amount to adjust the IBU's contributed by that hop.

Brain cramp :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Besides that ( and thanks for the help ) does the rest seem like it would work?

So i cut the first two hop additons in half - and come to a 18.8 - I can dig that. I'll just save the other hops held out to toss in my next IPA or something...

Back