Zest vs Pulp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazersgopewpew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has noticed or knows of a difference between using citrus zest and the actual fruit/pulp?
In the boil vs in secondary?

I mean they should impart different flavors and aromas right?
In my experience when I added lemon fruit chunks to primary I got a sweet lemon aroma/taste but no real citrus kick.

The zest has a high concentration of oils that add aroma and some flavor, but not much else. The pulp has fewer oils, but a lot more acid and sugar.

So which would you recommend more for flavor? Zest or pulp?
If zest would you recommend it at the end of boil or secondary with it?

You can soak some zest in vodka, and add the vodka at bottling. Try to get as much colored zest and as little white pith as possible. I read about a guy who tossed whole lemons into his wort at the end of the boil and just removed them after a few minutes of steeping. I don't find lemons to have much flavor beyond their acidity, you might consider a different citrus fruit if you want to do chunks. Sorachi Ace hops are reputed to be very lemony as well.

Yeah I had a bad experience with pith in a wit I brewed. Bittered the crap out of it. But the bitterness goes away after a while. I also just brewed a wheat with lemon pulp in the primary but I got a sweet lemon taste from it with not much actual citrus character.

Back