Adjusting Recipes to Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnomeEnthusiast

Reaction score
Ok, I just kegged my second batch.

First one, kicked a few weeks ago, was a Brewer's Best kit for English Brown Ale. I realized that there was way too much hop character, and if I brewed it again I would probably drop the 2nd and 3rd hop additions. That one's easy.

Now I've brewed a mild from Grape and Granary (excellent shop), and although it's only 2 weeks old and I just kegged it on Saturday, I've been drinking it every day. It's delicious even now. However, it's a bit thin, and I'd like a fuller mouth-feel. Am I judging it too early? Or could the recipe be adjusted to have more LME or steeped specialties, thus increasing the available sugars, and using a lower-attenuating yeast or some other method to keep the alcohol low (~3%) and up the "thickness".

Belgian white from G & G is in the primary. Can't wait for that one either.

Any suggestions?

I definitely was made to understand that concept on my first batch, and I definitely plan on giving this time before passing judgement, but it tastes so good already. The first batch, I did not like it at first. This one I was not expecting to be enjoying already.

I think I need to brew another batch of the same right away...

Oh, I've been collecting carboys, so now it's just a matter of finding the time. A 4-month-old in the house gets in the way, however. Odd that I've chosen now to really get going... or perhaps not. I can't leave the house anyway! :)

Mead is nice. A little honey, a little water, some yeast, and then walk away for a year or two (with a racking, of course). If I can't get to it, all the better.

Beer, however, needs more attention, which is not a complaint.

Latest posts

Back