nutty nuggets beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrybabyArtist

Reaction score
There is a Spartan store near me that sells a kind of Post Grape Nut cereal, that I was thinking of trying to make beer out of. It consists of only 4 ingredients: Whole grain wheat flour, malted barley flour, salt and yeast. I wonder if anyone has made a beer out of this and NOTHING else, well maybe sugar and ale yeast, but no "kit" stuff. Oh yeah, if I'm successful I'll have to call it "Poverty Porter" or something cause that is my motivation for trying to make this, I can't even afford domestic swill at the moment. So if anyone can help a brother out with insight I'd appreciate it!

Well, possible troll, you would need to get enzymes from somewhere to break up the barley and wheat flour starches into sugars useable by the yeast. And even if you did that, this would probably be pretty terrible. Too much salt, for starters. Might be interesting to try to make, say, a quart of it for curiosities' sake. In that case, try mashing the cereal with a handful of American 6-row pale malt, see what happens.

But seriously, if you're really that hard up and want to make beer, it would probably be more economical to just get a can of hopped malt extract or some amber DME, and a packet of dry ale yeast. You can make a wort of about 1.045 OG if you use one pound per gallon, and a pound costs about three dollars. This will yield about ten bottles of beer with 4.5% ABV, at about 30 cents each. A packet of yeast costs a dollar or two, and can start up five gallons. And it will probably be drinkable.

Back