Forgot aroma addition in Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Not sure how important it is in a Blond, but due to the commotion on my first major tasting/brewday I forgot to add the EKG at flameout. I don't recall smelling hops in the commercial belgians I've tasted amongst the phenols, but I can still toss in a half ounce or so when I transfer to secondary. I'm a hophead, but I still appreciate these beers for what they are, yeast driven. I think I already know the answer, but will I miss anything if I save the hops for another batch? Recipe was three light grains steeped, pilsen DME, and EKG at 60 and 20 with WLP550

I think it'd be a shame if you didn't have any aroma hops. You're right that Belgians are mainly about the yeast, but to add a little bit of balance I'd be inclined to chuck in half an ounce of dry hops.

Daaaahhhh....you're right! I see you brew a few belgians yourself, so I'm guessing you know what you're talking about. I guess I'm just trying to talk myself out of screwing up more than anything, and the fact that the hops will be in there for about a month. Maybe it'll be enough time for the aroma to fade a bit.

eh Belgians are not about hops at all.

Leave em out. I only do one bittering addition on a Belgian.

Back