Buying my first kit today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking kit!

Any of the recipe kits from any of the major online HBS (and your LHBS, probably) with an OG under 1.060 or so will be pretty straightforward. Pick theone you think you'll want to drink the most.

Better yet, pick two, so you can avoid the temptation to fool around with the first one while you wait (it will seem like forever) for it to finish. ;)

Good luck! :mug:

Nice looking kit!

Any of the recipe kits from any of the major online HBS (and your LHBS, probably) with an OG under 1.060 or so will be pretty straightforward. Pick theone you think you'll want to drink the most.

Better yet, pick two, so you can avoid the temptation to fool around with the first one while you wait (it will seem like forever) for it to finish. ;)

Good luck! :mug:
Thanks, I would definately drink that nut brown ale... I love Samuel Smith's NBA. The only part that confuses me is there are 3 choices for yeast. Dry, activator, and propagator.

The only part that confuses me is there are 3 choices for yeast. Dry, activator, and propagator.

I'd go with the dry. The biggest benefit to liquid yeast is the wide variety of available strains. Dry yeast is somewhat simpler to use, cheaper, and perfectly suitable for most American and English ales.

Keep the number of process variables to a minimum for your first brew, and you can expand into liquid yeasts later. My two cents.

well hope you don't have anything planned for the next several months of saturdays :)
welcome aboard

Thanks for the replies guys, I just placed my order with Smooth Nut Brown ale dry yeast. Shipping & handling was soo much money on that kit, must be a huge box for all them buckets.

Thanks for the replies guys, I just placed my order with Smooth Nut Brown ale dry yeast. Shipping & handling was soo much money on that kit, must be a huge box for all them buckets.

There are a couple of mailorder shops that do a low flat-rate. I think northernbrewer.com is $7.99 and morebeer.com has free shipping if you order more than $60 or so. Heavy stuff like glass carboys and bulk grains are usually excluded from the cheap shipping deal.

Ah, just looked at austinhomebrew.com and it looks like they do a $6.99 shipping deal also (haven't used them but they are spoken of very well here on HBT).

Just remember to plan ahead because free shipping is slow shipping; I am fine with that trade-off.

There are a couple of mailorder shops that do a low flat-rate. I think northernbrewer.com is $7.99 and morebeer.com has free shipping if you order more than $60 or so. Heavy stuff like glass carboys and bulk grains are usually excluded from the cheap shipping deal.

Ah, just looked at austinhomebrew.com and it looks like they do a $6.99 shipping deal also (haven't used them but they are spoken of very well here on HBT).

Just remember to plan ahead because free shipping is slow shipping; I am fine with that trade-off.
Well i placed my order with midwestsupplies already. I assume the high shipping is because its a big item, it was $28 to ship that kit to me.

Well i placed my order with midwestsupplies already. I assume the high shipping is because its a big item, it was $28 to ship that kit to me.

Midwest has lower base prices for most items, which makes up for the higher shipping costs most of the time.

Latest posts

Back