AG turned PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhuff

Reaction score
Well my first AG didn't go as the recipe called. My OG was waayyy off and I ended up added 1.5 lbs of DME to get the OG close. My efficiency must have truly sucked. I am not going to try this again until I get a MLT built so I won't have to use an extra large grain bag. I believe it was the sparge (teabagging) that was the culprit, but who knows. It seems that pouring the water over the grains and letting them drain through is much better. All temps were hit dead on so that is the only thing I could figure. Anyway, I took photos of the whole process and posted them here.
Back to extract brewing for a while.:mug:

I have been thinking about hitting the low OG all night (and this am), so I went back and checked the recipe Death Brewer sent me, wondering if I didn't get the correct amount of grains. Then I found that I hit right at the minimum OG!

A ProMash Recipe Report

-------------------------------
10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045
Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

The red emphasis is mine. I still think I am going to wait to do it again until I can rig up AG down the road, but I am happy that I atleast hit within recipe range (even if just barley!).

Still sounds like a tasty session beer! Sparging through a grain bag is a PITA and always got bad efficiency for me. Get that MLT built post-haste.

Back