water for partial boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breadbohn

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

A quick question about my partial boil. I boil and cool 3 gallons of water in my brewpot, then transfer it to the fermentor. Then I can use the same pot for boiling.

Question: Could I do the first step one day, then begin the fun parts the next day? In other words, can I safely store boiled water in a sanitized fermentor overnight, before I add the wort and pitch yeast? This would make it easier to do the fun part after work in the evening, say.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi everybody,

A quick question about my partial boil. I boil and cool 3 gallons of water in my brewpot, then transfer it to the fermentor. Then I can use the same pot for boiling.

Question: Could I do the first step one day, then begin the fun parts the next day? In other words, can I safely store boiled water in a sanitized fermentor overnight, before I add the wort and pitch yeast? This would make it easier to do the fun part after work in the evening, say.

Any thoughts appreciated.

You can, just make sure your fermenting vessel, airlock, etc is sanitized before putting water in there. That being said Boulder has great water, I never bothered to boil top-up water when I did extract and didn't have any problems

Should be okay, as long as everything is sanitary. But why not just use gallon jugs of bottled water? They can be pre-cooled in the fridge or freezer and you can help with aeration by shaking up the jugs before topping off.

Thanks for the quick replies. Cold. bottled top-off water might be useful to cool the wort, too, if I'm careful about amounts and starting temperature.

@ Parker 36: Thanks for the tip on Boulder's water. Makes me feel better about some questionable rinsing I've done in the past.

Latest posts

Back