Adding extra juice to already fermenting cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coreire

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to brewing and I started a basic cider tonight as my first attempt.
At the moment I've got 3 litres of apple juice that started out with a specific gravity of about 1.050 in a glass demijohn.
I'm going to wait about 48 hours before adding another 1.5 litres to it so that it wouldn't overflow on me.

When I'm adding the 1.5L, will it have any bad effects if I just pour it in though a funnel? Or do I have to submerge a hose in the current batch so that there isn't any splashing etc.?

Also, the yeast I have is Young's cider yeast in a 5g packet. It says its good for up to 23 litres. I added the whole packet of yeast to the 1 gallon demijohn.
Is that too much yeast? Or does the amount not matter as long as its enough?

I'm making a batch of Magnum pear cider and Coopers australian lager in a 33 litre fermenter next, so I want to iron out the kinks and get a bit of practice before I do them

Thanks in advance.

You want to minimize splashing. Some oxygen is good, but if it grabs any bacteria, well, bacteria love oxygen.

When you first put in yeast, it buds and reproduces until there is nothing left to keep it reproducing. You just shortened the amount of time it would take to build up. I was at a conference last week where they said the pros get a gallon fermenting so that they had enough yeast for their tanks.

Oooo, stay away from iron! Iron will turn cider bad colors. (yes, I know you were talking in metaphors)

Thanks for the reply. I poured the extra juice in pretty slowly through a funnel last night, it didn't end up splashing much anyway. It seems to be fermenting nicely now (airlock is bubbling twice per second) so hopefully its fine.

I've also noted the use of iron when trying to make odd coloured cider :p

Back