Pub Crawl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnoona

Reaction score
Check out my pub crawl this weekend (well, it's really more like a pub drive):

Saturday drive to Bells Brewery's Eccentric Café in Kalamazoo for lunch. Then continue on the Grand Rapids, to check out the town then have dinner/drinks into the evening at Founder's Taproom. Staying over nearby. Then heading home on Sunday, but stopping at New Holland Brewery for lunch/drinks on the way.

Sweet. :)

We did a bus trip to Founders,Arcadia,Bell's and Michigan brewing this spring...If it were up to me we would have never left Founders !!!!!

Have fun
Pat.

You might as well stop by Three Floyds on the way back since it is just of the highway anyway. It would make for a great finish.

You might as well stop by Three Floyds on the way back since it is just of the highway anyway. It would make for a great finish.

I was just there for DLD on 4/26, and went back again to check out the brewpub on 6/6. 3F rules though. They're my favorite brewery.

Crowded, a cover, loud music...I would go there during the day if you want to try new beers and talk to the people you are with or bartenders.

When I get home I'm going to have my wife drive me to all the different brew pubs in Madison.

Great Dane Brew Pub to JT Whitney's to Angelic Brewery to Ale Asylum and then to a couple specialty bars, Brasserie V and The Malt House.

Well how was your pub crawl I went to Founders saturday too man I love that place..We also walked down to Hopcat and the b.o.b. they are both brew pubs but pale in comparison.

Pat

We were at Founders a couple of weeks ago. Nice this time of the year when the open all the large garage doors up and the place is open to the outside. And the beer. yum.

Sorry for the length...
We got to Kalamazoo, MI by ~1:30 EST, and popped into Bell's Eccentric Cafe for lunch. We got some sandwiches and tried: Hell Hath No Fury, Kal-Haven and Golden Rye. All were just pretty good. The Kal-Haven was a wild beer, and looked like pond scum. Weird. Bell's had like a Disneyland gift shop though. It was ridiculous. And half the store was a homebrew shop. That was really neat.

Next we piled back into the car for a 50 mile drive to Grand Rapids. Founder's Taproom was totally awesome, and their beer selection was unbelievable. We had a TON of beers here: Sweet Darkness, Curmudgeon, Nitro Double Trouble, KBS, CBS, Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, Maple Mountain Brown ale, and a bunch more that I can't even remember. This place was totally awesome and their beers were the highlight of the trip. We were probably there for four hours and left right before the bands were hitting the stage at just before 10pm.

Sunday morning we drove to Holland, MI. The town itself was actually really cool, and very touristy (est. 1847). Of course, almost everything was closed on Sunday. :( We headed into New Holland Brewpub at 12pm when they opened. The brewpub itself was really cool. They have an awesome pilot brewery built into the restaurant that supplies all the rare specialty brews that they have on tap there, which there were probably ~15 different varieties. We tried a lot of their brews that you can get around here, but I can't remember them all. Golden Cap Saison, Black Tulip Trippel, Brother Jacob Dubbel, Imperial Mad Hatter IIPA, most of them were nothing special. However, their barleywine/hopwine and their wheatwine were both great. They reportedly were selling bottles of the 2006 barleywine (which I sampled on tap) Existential, but they couldn't find any bottles when I asked for one. :( Oh well...

In the end we had an absolute blast and got lots of killer shirts and glasses for souvenirs. Founder's was the highlight of the trip for sure. The best beers were their CBS and Sweet Darkness (black IIPA on Nitro). They were amazing. My stomach is a little raw from constantly drinking 10% beer and eating junk food, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Founders is an incredible brewery and I'm kind of perplexed as to why their session ales are so ordinary yet their specialty brews are so insane. It doesn't make sense. Centennial IPA, Dry Hopped Pale Ale, Red’s Rye PA, etc. Those beers are pedestrian, but all their high gravity stuff is absolutely top notch. CBS is now probably in my top five beers of all time.

I'll post a pic link later tonight if anyone wants to take a peak.

whats the best place in Madison and how far is it from Eagle?
Best place for a Belgian or not the norm beer: Brasserie V. The Malt House is great too but they don't serve food.

Best Irish Pub: The Brocach. Awesome beer and whisky selections. Great food. Live trad some days.

Best Brew Pub: Ale Asylum, but The Great Dane has some decent beers too.

Those are usually where I go for drinks. If I just want to get hammered I go to The Irish Pub, Porta Bella, Gino's, or some other quiet bar.

What do you mean by Eagle?

Last spring we flew into Chicago on a Saturday, went straight to Goose Island Clybourn, Piece, and Buddy Guy's in Chicago, next day down to Flossmoor, then over to New Holland and Founders, Monday was the HopCat, and up to Short's, back down to Bell's on Tuesday, finished off at FFF. We definitely should have stopped at the Livery, that was a big gaping hole in that trip, and I really would have liked to have gotten over to Dark Horse, but time was limited and we traded that option for Short's and we did pretty good for a five day trip. Founder's is still my favorite brewpub in America (though Stone's garden gives some stiff competition). A low note of the crawl was trying to visit New Holland on a Sunday--county ordinance forbade them from selling beer. I was so angry. High note of the crawl was waking up Monday morning after our late night at Founder's and meeting the employees again at opening time, just as impy stout was being put on tap...mmm, breakfast!

I was born and raised in Michigan (now live in Chicago) and I gotta say, I started salivating when I read the description of your trip. Then after looking at the pics, I might have to go over to Rock Bottom Brewery for lunch (I don't think my manager would like that to much :cross:).

I really have a special place in my heart for Bell's Oberon. It just reminds me of home, ya know?

Holland really is a beautiful city, and I really like the brews at New Holland. I always make a point to stop in when I visit the city.

I, very regrettably, have to admit that I have never been to Founders, or even tasted their work. I knew it came recommended, but I had no idea it was regarded so highly. I'll definitely make sure to swing through next time I go home to visit my family.

Great thread, great pics, I really enjoyed hearing about the trip. Keep us posted if you do something else like this soon.

:off: I've always really liked the beer at Rock Bottom Brewery, but I've never heard a "professional's" review. I'm interested to hear what you Chicago guys have to say about it, so if anybody has any comments, please let me know.

Last spring we flew into Chicago on a Saturday, went straight to Goose Island Clybourn, Piece, and Buddy Guy's in Chicago, next day down to Flossmoor, then over to New Holland and Founders, Monday was the HopCat, and up to Short's, back down to Bell's on Tuesday, finished off at FFF. We definitely should have stopped at the Livery, that was a big gaping hole in that trip, and I really would have liked to have gotten over to Dark Horse, but time was limited and we traded that option for Short's and we did pretty good for a five day trip. Founder's is still my favorite brewpub in America (though Stone's garden gives some stiff competition). A low note of the crawl was trying to visit New Holland on a Sunday--county ordinance forbade them from selling beer. I was so angry. High note of the crawl was waking up Monday morning after our late night at Founder's and meeting the employees again at opening time, just as impy stout was being put on tap...mmm, breakfast!
`

The law was changed in our last county election. Not sure if everyone has switched to the new law yet or not but most have.

`

The law was changed in our last county election. Not sure if everyone has switched to the new law yet or not but most have.

Yeah, and thank God for that. Otherwise, I would have been arrested for sure.

Glad some of you liked that pics.

Back