Adjusting Thermostat on Mini Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFoodScientist

Reaction score
So I scored a free 3.6 cu ft refrigerator (model # SFR03BAPAWW if anyone cares) that my neighbors were disposing of. I was really stoked because this model didn't have a freezer tray, so no risky bending to make a kegerator! They said that it works fine but was freezing some of their stuff. Cleaning it out, it looks like a can of cola exploded in it from being frozen.

After thorough cleaning, shearing off the door shelving and letting it sit overnight to let the compressor settle (it had been on it's back at least once), I plugged it in yesterday morning. I noticed that the thermostat had been turned to the coldest and wondered if that's why things had been freezing. It started to frost up after just a couple of minutes so I turned the knob back to what I assumed was the "normal" setting (a small line on the dial about a third of the way from "off" to "coldest").

After work, I checked it out. Room temperature inside and out. Evaporator plate was not cold, compressor was not warm from running, and the sides where the coils run through were not warm either. So I cranked it back to the coldest setting. Silence. I let it sit for about 20 minutes. Nothing.

After checking all the wiring for fear I had blown the overload protection capacitor, it turns out that everything is fine except for the thermostat. I played with the coarse adjustment screw until it kicked on, but I think that made it run all night long. So I backed it off a hair, (twisted the screw just enough to overcome friction, then stopped), and after about an hour, it's not running again.

Bottom line: I think my thermostat is shot. It seems to be either running constantly, or not at all. I know the probe is right up against the evaporator plate, so it should kick off at some point, but it doesn't seem to want to. I can't find a parts listing online for a new thermostat to replace it with. I'm leaning towards an STC-1000 or similar from ebay, but I don't want to wear out the compressor too quickly.

Any suggestions?

The STC-1000 has a compressor delay on it, so you should be safe. If you can figure out how to bypass the internal thermostat, I would go that route as it'll be more precise that way anyway.

There's a wiring diagram on the back and the setup is really simple. Bypassing the thermostat would be really easy and it would save me some space in there. Though I can't fit a second corny in there, anyway, so it probably doesn't matter much.

Back