Late Hopping Time Prefences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacgee

Reaction score
What are peoples preferences/opinions as far as when it is best to actually begin adding hops for flavor and aroma? Is there any benefit to rotating hop additions in say the last 20 min-KO as opposed to throwing everything in one or two additions in like the last 5-KO? I’ve been able to achieve a very nice hop flavor and aroma in my Pale Ale rotating in the last 20 but what others do.

What would you guys suggest as methods or practices subsequent to the boil that would help preserve or boost the hop character? Obviously dry hopping is one method. I’ve also read several times that it is very important to cool the wort to fermentation temperature ASAP in order to preserve the volatile oils. Any other tips? What are the peoples suggestions for dry hopping? Again is it better to put all in at the beginning and dry hop for X days or is it better to put some in at point A and then point B? What is generally your dry hop ratio oz:gal for an IPA? An IIPA? What temperature is best for dry hopping? How long is it best to dry hop for?

I’ve been doing a lot with hops lately and like the results I am getting but am interested in what other people use. Feel free to answer one, two, or all of the questions. I would love any and all feedback.

He knows more about it than I do - http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

I brewed the Evil Twin recently and it is an awesome beer. Very smooth bitterness and nice hop aroma & flavor. I was clueless about late hopping until that brew last month. It was also my fastest grain to glass and was drinkable almost immediately after force carbing. I was not in a rush but the beer just worked, not sure if the late hopping had anything to do with that however.

Just did a Centennial IPA. Hopped 2 oz @ 60, 1 @ 10, 1 @ 5 and 2 @ 0. Hops were 6% AA. Smells great in the fermentor.

Back