Krausen Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
I still have a healthy krausen on on my altbier (day 8). No problem, I'm RDWHAHBing, but I'm curious...
When it falls, how long does the process take on average?

Well from my experience usually the krausen has fallen after that long - but it all depends on the type of beer. Just keep an eye on it - the krausen may fall any day now

I still suffer from bouts of impatience with my brews. If you want the krausen to fall and don't want to wait, give it a few good swirls, and the krausen will fall into the beer. If it's not done yet, it will build back up on its own in a few hours. If it stays sunk, then it should be ready for the clearing tank.

I always wait for the krausen to drop by itself. What yeast did you use? At what temperature did you ferment? For example, when I brew Kolsch the krausen takes around 14 days to form and drop, because I ferment cool and the yeast itself creates a thick, stable krausen.

I had a recent batch where the krausen did not fully fall the whole 14 days of primary. I needed the fermenter so I racked from under the krausen to secondary; within a few hours fermentation had restarted and a new krausen was forming in my secondary tank. It's been in secondary for a few days so we'll see if the krausen ever falls...

I used WYeast 1338 (made a 1600mL starter) and fermented at 68-70 with 8 lbs of LME. Krausen formed within a day and has held strong ever since.

This morning it looked a little more creamy and less rocky, so that may be a sign that it's falling.
I'm going to let it do it's thing since I don't really want any fermentation going on in secondary.

Depends on yeast strain. Wyeast Kolsch (2565 I think) never loses its krausen layer. it shrinks, but lingers like a protective cap over the beer.

Latest posts

Back