F.G. 1.022 after a week in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemurphy15

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am making a brewhouse pale ale kit hack (Imperial India Pails of Ale).
http://www.thevineyard.ca/making-beer?articleid=90

The O.G. of the wort was 1.072 and i pitched a Wyeast 1056 (no starter) the the 4 gallons. Temperature was constant at around 18-19 Celsius. After 8 days of being in the primary the F.G. was 1.022. I had checked on day 5 and it was roughly 1.023. I transferred to a carboy for secondary fermentation. As i was transferring I was telling myself this is still probably too high to transfer, and once finally transferred, I done a little research and it indeed seems I may have been to eager.

Should I worry that the gravity at this point was 1.022, or is it likely that the gravity still may drop a bit over the next several weeks in the carboy.. And if not is there anything i can do?...

Any help will obviously be greatly appreciated :)

transfering early should not effect the yeasts ability to convert sugar into alcohol, the yeast do not care what kind of container they are in, they just need food too eat. You will be fine

Nah don't worry at all. It may not drop. But a bit high gravity ain't gonna hurt anything, especially if your OG was 1.072. Enjoy!

Yeah thanks for the input guy's..
I wasn't overly worried, but as soon as i looked at some forums online it seems as if I made a tremendous mistake! haha..
I tasted it and it seemed decent.. The beer is required to age for nearly a month, so I expect the gravity will still perhaps drop a few points..

Back