Android apps for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I've looked at a few, but haven't really dealt with them. Anyone got any favorite brewing app for Android devices? Being able to export a batch log would be sweet.

I use brewr, homebrew calculator, and brewzor, all ok. Brewzor seems to have more functions.

I'm actually in the process of developing an app. I used to use brewpal on the iphone, so I wan't to get the base functionality of that. If there are any features that you would like included, let me know. I'm also going to try to include a lot of the calculations from how to brew and yeast.

eppo said:
I'm actually in the process of developing an app. I used to use brewpal on the iphone, so I wan't to get the base functionality of that. If there are any features that you would like included, let me know. I'm also going to try to include a lot of the calculations from how to brew and yeast.

Having the style guidelines shown somewhere in the recipe build screen would be nice. That way you know if you are on spec. Also, maybe a list of typical or standard hops (suggestions) for the style you are making. (I love Columbus, but do they belong in a Wit?).

an app that catalogs recipes would be awesome. or allows you to see other people's recipes too. Having the ability to search for clones, styles etc. also ability to use it on the ipad.

Im in the process of making a recipe viewer with some simple tools for beersmith recipes, give it a couple weeks and I should have a working version.

Its gonna be for android 3.2 and above though.

Im in the process of making a recipe viewer with some simple tools for beersmith recipes, give it a couple weeks and I should have a working version.

Would be great as an ipad app ;)

mxpx5678 said:
Would be great as an ipad app ;)

Sorry I hate apple, paying for a brand name and a product that does less, but because it does that a little fancier (not better) people think its amazing, also no custimization cause apple has to have things their way...
Sorry have a little grudge toward all the apple stuff

But seriously dont own any apple products and dont want to pay apple to do programing as a hobby

Here's another vote for BrewR. I love the simplicity and clean interface and the brew day timer is so helpful. I have one other one, maybe Brewzor, because it has calculators in it. I just love the ability to tinker with my recipes while I am out and I can take them to the LHBS to shop.

Did you ever get this done? That is exactly what i am looking for, opens beersmith recipes, has timers for additions, place for notes and measurements to put into beersmith later.

you rock... Wish I had the know how to program, guess i'll stick to building stuff. :mug:

Im still working on it, if you check out my threads i have one that im updating with progress. Its a long process to make an app so its taking awhile

I would like to make another recommendation for BrewR. I am a new brewer and have finished three batches with two more in fermenters. My first batch was a kit and the rest have been recipes I have designed using the app.

I hit my gravities within a point or two and the beers came out just the way I hoped they would. Much better beers than the kit. To be fair, the kit was my first and I didn't have total control of my process. However, BrewR is very intuitive and helped me make precisely the beers I wanted to drink. All it needs is calculators and it would be the perfect app.

BrewR here too. I tried Brewzor, admittedly, only for a few minutes. Too complex and spread out in comparison to BrewR IMO.

I've been using brew timer as a simple timer for brew day. It's great. Downloading BrewR on recommendations right now!

I like brew timer for timing my mashes and giving me reminders when to start heating sparge water during the mash and such. Also program each beer to chime when hop and other additions need to be done during the boil.

Exporting from BrewR is my only complaint. I can't get the share function to work...both on my old Droid X or my new Droid RAZR. The email never sends, at least if I could email myself the recipe, I could copy and paste into a database backup on my computer. Once I have a recipe I like and will repeat, I have to manually enter it into a word doc to keep a back up copy.

As far as style categories are concerned. There is a BJCP app that lists all categories.
There is also an SRM chart but it is mostly useless since it will look different on everyone's different phone, a nice thought though

Back