Possible to save BAAAAAD beer with Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I thought of this as I was browning some ground beef for dinner, but...

Many years ago, my parents owned a 'General Store' out in BFE AZ. We had a bonafide butcher who cut all of our meat, and from time to time (since I was so fascinated with the meat grinder) I got to lend a helping hand in making sausage and Chorizo. For those who are not familiar with Chorizo, in its simplest definition its 'Mexican Sausage'. Being from AZ eating 'different' things never bothered me - even after I had the experience of making Chorizo (more than once)
Long story short (too late - Ive had a couple)

Chorizo is basically all of the 'bad' meat that doesnt get sold or just goes bad. I have seen some of the GREENEST meat go into Chorizo. And by green, I dont mean like how beer is green cause it needs time to age. I mean, spoiled green meat (that stinks to high heaven on top of this) Hell, throw in many many quarts of red chili powder, some other spices and you have a TASTY breakfast treat. (I still LOVE good Chorizo even though I have seen what goes into it) But I digress... (Time for another beer)

Is this even remotely possible with spoiled (or infected) beer? I know that the IPA was invented in a similar fashion as Chorizo. What did Columbus sail the 7 seas in search of? Gold? Nope... SPICES to make what would eventually be popularized as CHORIZO! (Maybe he was searching for hops too!)
-Me

First, I love chorizo. However, I think hops are best spent on the second effort. I mean, you aren't even bittering or flavoring with those hops. You're just adding aroma. There was a local brewery that made a funky ass batch of pilsner and added 5 very floral spices to the beer to make it something like a lager wit. It had jasmine, coriander, etc.... The beer was alright but pretty quickly started turning bad, within about 2 months (true pilsner fashion).
Personally, I say brew another better beer. Don't waste your hops on a funky batch. Forward motion, progress, better days ahead!:drunk:

Back