NB Assaazin Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowbrew

Reaction score
hey all, I'm planning on brewing a NB Assaazin Belgian Pale Ale this weekend and have a question about fermentation temps. I'm a total noob to brewing still, so please take it easy on me.
The kit says to ferment between 65-72 degrees, but i notice that many brewers are suggesting fermentating at 62 yet others say higher temps (75+) are better.....I'm very confused as to which is right. I figured it all has to do with the yeast strand, (i'll be using Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes) but even then i see brewers using the same yeast but at completely opposite temps.

I guess the question i have is, which end of 65-72 range should i attempt to ferment at? or does it even matter as long as i'm in that range?

thanks! and happy new year!

I've had good success with 3522 starting in the low 60s and raising it slowly into the mid-high 70s to finish. Starting low keeps the esters from getting out of hand, raising it slowly helps it attenuate fully. I've only used 3522 3 times but with thus schedule I gotten a nice balance.

First off congrats on getting your hands on that kit. I tried but was too late and they were out. Gotta give a good review once it's drinkable. NB customer service had recommended 68-70 for both my Wheat kit (that came with my Beginner Brew Kit) and the Chinook IPA I have now. I had initially chilled my Wheat to 66 and it stopped fermentation cold (it seemed.) got it back up to 68 to finish out and the beer tastes just fine. There seems to be techniques folks use depending on their location/time of season. Regardless, best not to worry to much and as Charlie says "don't worry, relax, have a homebrew." Cheers.

I've had good success with 3522 starting in the low 60s and raising it slowly into the mid-high 70s to finish. Starting low keeps the esters from getting out of hand, raising it slowly helps it attenuate fully. I've only used 3522 3 times but with thus schedule I gotten a nice balance.

^^^This^^^
I start this (and almost all Belgian strains) in the low to mid 60s and let it slowly rise. If you don't have good temp control the slow part can be difficult. The yeast will generate enough heat to raise the temps but it can go too warm too fast if you don't have it in a cool place. Ideally you want it in a spot where ambient temps are around 65° if you don't have a fermentation fridge. Slowly (like over several days) raising the temps into the mid to upper 70s as fermentation starts to slow will get you great attenuation. I had active fermentation with a golden strong using this yeast that lasted almost 2 weeks! I think it finished around 1.004

Back