Second mead, thinking about bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnunit

Reaction score
Here's my situation. I have a mead that was in primary for over year, and has been been in secondary for about two and a half years, and I tossed some oak in there for about the last eight months. I just tasted it and it's finally starting to hit on all cylinders, and it's around 1.012 SG. Original gravity was reasonably high, 1.092. I pitched wyeast Dry Mead to it lo those many years ago. It's been in the 1.012 range since May.

I'd like to bottle it, half sparkling, half still, but I actually don't care if it ALL sparkles or ALL stays still.

Looking for suggestions:
1) should I add yeast and bottle to make it sparkle?

2) should I hold off and let it get down below 1.000 before doing ANYTHING?

3) is it stuck (1.012 for six months at least) and I should consider pitching some champagne yeast to finish it off?

4) is there a good mix of the above options? like take the half I want to sparkle and add a very small quantity of champagne yeast to wake it up and carbonate; while bottling the rest without new yeast and laying it in the basement for a good long time to let the chips fall where they may vis a vis sparkly character or still?

Thanks in advance.

To make this sparkling, you'll want to use a Champagne yeast like EC-1118, or DV10. You'll get better results if you acclimate the yeast per hightest's instruction for a stuck fermentation. Once you pitch it you'll want to let it finish the fermentation going fully dry with a gravity less than 1.000.

At that point you can add honey in the appropriate amount to achieve the desired level of carbonation. Then you can bottle it and wait.

Medsen

FYI, for those of you scoring at home, a copy of hightest's recommendation is here. I have some pasteur champagne dry yeast so I'm using that.

I've got a starter going and I'm following the tip of acclimating my yeast. I don't have any superfood around, but I do have energizer--I've added about 1/2c of the must twice and it's still foaming, so I'll pitch to the full must when it's about at 2L, which should be Sunday.

Thanks for the tipoff!

Adding pasteur champagne yeast using the above suggestions (acclimating the yeast to the high alcohol environment) is working: the fermentation is unstuck and gravity has moved down to 1.004 already. It's significantly freshened up the flavor, too: some minor flavors I was concerned about being off are already showing signs of being scrubbed out. I'm hoping to be able to begin bottle conditioning in December, perhaps I'll even drink some by New Year's. You know, just to give future drinkers...uh... a baseline. Yeah.

Back