Storing dry yeast after opening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
I am planning to add 1/4 of the US-05 packet to my 1.102 OG barleywine before bottling (it's been in secondary for 5 weeks, and I'd rather ensure that I get adequate carbonation). My question is, can I store the remaining dry yeast in a safe manner to use later?

I think fermentis says you can refrigerate the remaining yeast in a sealed container for up to a week. Check the website, though, as I'm going from memory. I would even be a little nervous about week old, open dry yeast, but maybe that's just me. It's cheap stuff, so just chalk it up to the added expense (and it's not a lot) of barleywine. Nothing else about this beer is cheap, is it?

5 weeks in secondary? I doubt you need to add any yeast. I had my 1.090 triple in secondary for over two months and it's carbonated fine.

If you can store it without contaminating it will last for quite a while. When I use a partial packet I dump the rest in to a sterile plastic centrifuge tube and store in the refrigerator. I've used it 6 months after opening the original packet and it was still viable made in to a starter.

Dry yeast is usually packed in nitrogen-flushed sachets/packets. I assume that is why they say use in 7 days. I've used bread yeast that has been open and in the freezer for years, but for the cost of 1 packet of dry beer yeast I'd buy extra and toss the open packet if not using pretty quickly.

It's a matter of how well you can seal the yeast. If it is open to the air the yeast will absorb water and die in a week.

Well, you can of course pitch this 1/4 if needed and keep the rest as yeast nutrient for your next batch ..

Back